Mondays. Ohhhh Mondays. Woke up early for CrossFit today to get it out of the way so I could get into the lab early…but I still haven’t heard back about what time I’m needed. Bah! I’ve been very quiet the last week or so at the box. Being sleepy causes me to be more reserved, I guess. Anyway, today is a new week, and I’m ready to crush it.
- Front Squat 3-3-3-3: 105-105-105-105(PR!!). These were really tough. First rep was good, second was hard, and 3rd had major form breakdown. But by the 3rd and 4th set I was able to manage that a little better, and put more into my legs instead of my back. I will probably stay here for another week, unless we drop to sets of 2.
WOD for Reps: 173
Tabata: 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest.
8 Rounds Each of:
- Russian Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Level II. 80 reps total.
- Rowing: Rx. 40 cals total.
- 10ft Wallballs: 8lbs, Level II. 53 reps total.
- Complete 8 Rounds of each exercise before switching to next, with no additional rest between.
I’m pretty happy about that. My first two rounds of rowing were very inefficient. I should have been able to hit 50, but I had a brain fart and was going for speed instead of power at first. Durr. The KB swings got really taxing on my back by round 5ish, but were manageable. The wallballs were uncomfortable, but definitely do-able. Happy to use the 8lb ball after using the 14’er for the past few wallball workouts. Also, to quote one of the guys in my class this morning: “that 10 second rest is BULLSHIT!” Which it totally is haha.
YOU GUYS. YOU GUYYYYYYYSSSSSSS. I don’t even care that I didn’t work out hardly at all last week. This is a new week, and I am killing it so far!! PR squat!!!!!
- Squat 1-1-1-1-1: 125(previous 1RM)-130(PR)-135(SUPER PR)-135(fail)-130. GAAAAAAAAAAD. I am SO HAPPY about this. For some reason, the 125 rep felt so much heavier than the 130 and 135. I think I was off balance or something, because there is no reason for that. I wish I had known that I was going to be able to push that far! I would have done less warming up. I think today I did 5×35, 3×65, 3×85, 2×115, 1×125, then went into the above reps. I definitely would have cut out the 65s and the 115s, and gone for 140. I had no idea they were going to feel that good!!! Ahhhhh. That is 15lbs over my body weight. The last time we did 1RM back squat was for CFT back in…September? October? And I remember my hit at 125 was to a questionable depth, too. Back then, that was ~5lbs under my bodyweight. Ahhhhhh. Such a win.
WOD for Reps: 139
- Row for Calories: Rx.
- Push-ups: Knees, Level I. Bah. Half-argued with the coach about whether I should do them on my knees or fewer strict. He wanted volume.
- American Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs, Rx.
- Complete 6 rounds of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Do all 6 rounds of one exercise before you move onto the next.
Somehow this was my first time doing any sort of tabata workout. I’ve heard how horrible they are, but man, I really freaking liked this. I always take an extra half-swing on the KBs to get it up overhead the first time, so that took away a rep or two. On the rowing, I kept forgetting to use big, powerful, explosive pulls, and slower recovery going back to the front. I lost some energy/cals there, but overall I’m pretty happy. And..the push-ups..were push-ups..so they were grueling and awful. I was very surprised how sore my arms were from the push-ups going into the KB swings! Even not muscling the KB up and really using my arms merely as straps, my damn forearms were killing me!
Gym tomorrow between classes! Wheeee.