Who has been following the CrossFit Games?!??!!? It’s my favorite weekend of the year!!! Not only that, but Thursday was my last day of classes for the summer semester! Woo! All finished for a month. So that, plus the Games?! BEST EVER. They’ve rolled out some ridiculous shit this year. I can’t even imagine being able to do the stuff that they are doing right now. Swim, then do bar muscle ups?! Nope. Legless rope climbs? Double nope. So awesome. These athletes are amazing. I also love the programming this year. Today they’ve had one endurance/strength event, and then an explosive sprint event right after it. So damn smart and incredible.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Deadlift: 155lbs. More than I’ve ever done in any deadlift EMOTM before! Woo!
- 3 Strict Pull-Ups: assisted. The past few weeks I’ve been dropping down to less volume with less assistance, but I don’t think that’s helped me gain the muscle needed to do strict unassisted pullups again. So I used a little more assistance than normal, and made sure that I got 3 in every round.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 6:10
12 Minute AMRAP of:
- 3 Squat Cleans: 65lbs, Level I.
- 6 Ring Dips: Assisted, Level I.
- 9 Box Jumps: 20″, Level II.
Ugh squat cleans are the worst for me! I always catch the weight in the perfect spot, but I’m just so weak standing up from them. Definitely a weakness I need to work on! I’m so far away from being able to unassisted ring dips again. I think I’m going to start trying to use the 24″ box on WODs where we’re supposed to go a little higher. I really struggled with
Woo! CrossFit Games! Yayayay! I swear I’ll start taking gratuitous pictures of myself again sometime soon. I was just always running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get to class or to the lab to work. Zero time!
Gahhhh today. Today today today. Lots of weaknesses exposed today.
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2: 75-75-75-75(-75 Bonus set). All were squat clean/split jerk. I’m having a really hard time with bar placement in my left hand for the jerk. Cleans are fine and easy and feel great, even the front rack position feels good. But adjusting the bar into the meaty part of my palm with it still resting on my shoulder rack is pretty much impossible right now. It’s getting closer (I think? Maybe? Wishful thinking?) but most of the time it ends up hovering, and then I have zero propulsion from the dip/drive on that side and end up having to press out at the top. I haven’t ever squat cleaned that much though, so that’s pretty rad.
WOD for Time: 12:11
5 Rounds of:
- 1 Squat Clean: 75lbs.
- 2 Front Squats: 75lbs.
- 3 Deadlifts: 75lbs.
- 4 Bastards: Rx.
- 200m Run: Rx.
- 1 Minute Rest
Weakness exposed. I am scared of squat cleans. I don’t know why, but man, I would rather do power cleans all damn day than do 2 squat cleans, and I’m not sure why. But today I forced myself to do them in the strength portion, and then did them in the metcon. I feel like I definitely could have done more weight, but I freaked myself out over the SCs so I just stuck at 75. Eh. Now I have something to work on, I guess. They did feel good though, and I feel like I’m slowly building my confidence in them. The deadlifts and bastards were easy, and I was hauling ass on the runs. Some people posted up sub-10 minutes, and I just have no idea how that’s even possible. I felt like I was flying through this, and still ended up with 12 minutes! I guess my first two runs were a little too leisurely. The last three I realized how good I still felt, and sprinted them. Still though, that’s just insanely fast.
I’m going to try to hit up a hot yoga class tomorrow morning. It all depends on how I sleep tonight, but hopefully it’ll be soundly and wonderfully, and yoga will be super great. Fingers crossed! Need more mobility!