I did a lot of different moves the past two workouts. I want to get this posted, and if I spend the time to link everything..well, I’ll give up and never post it. So I’m just going to post it without the video descriptors! I promise to be back to the normal format soon! Also hopefully back into actual Crossfit. Being sick and extremely sore have both destroyed my routine this week!
It seems like whenever I write about going to Crossfit the next day, I never end up going! I woke up in the morning on Monday and I felt absolutely awful and sluggish. I had my class, and slept for pretty much the rest of the day. I made up for it the next day though!!
- Squat 2-2-2-2: 120-120-120-120. Ehhhhhhhh. Some of these weren’t quite to full, below-parallel depth. I swear, squatting (or any lifting, for that matter) in front of a mirror at the gym is the WORST. I focus so much on watching my form that I psych myself out. “This is so heavy. Omg. You’re getting so low. Omg. Stop. You’re going to have to ditch the weight if you go lower, look how much you’re struggling already.” Pretty much my brain in front of the mirror, every time. But I did them, and they felt pretty good, and I’m confident that next week I’ll hit this for sure.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Hang Power Snatch: 55lbs. Felt strong and steady. Didn’t have to break any sets.
- 10 ABMAT Situps: Mothereffin’ raspberry on my tailbone from this. Ugh. There has to be a better way.
This was tiring.
WOD for Time: 11:53
5 Rounds of:
- 12 Alternating Single-Arm Dumbbell Snatch: 30lbs, Level II
- 12 Alternating Leg Suitcase Carry Dumbbell Lunge: 30lbs, Level II
- 15 Double Unders: Level II.
This WOD was pretty great, all around. I got all weird right before I started and decided I was only going to do 3 rounds. Then I got to round 3 and I decided to do one more. And then I got to round 4 and decided I was just going to do all 5. Ha. This is why I NEED crossfit. The lunges were death and my double unders were eh, but single arm snatches felt incredible. On the DUs I couldn’t get my rhythm going right. 3 rounds were unbroken, the other two were 10-3-2’ish, but I felt like I was expelling too much energy the whole time. I also warmed up with 5 minutes of solid double under practice, and my freaking calves are still in knots from all the jumping. Ow. I spent more time resting after the double unders too. Neeeeed the pressure of actually being in crossfit!
- 75 GHDs. Favorite. Forever.
As previously mentioned, my calves. They are dying. I really need to remember to roll them out more before/after doing lots of jumping, because for some reason they lock up so badly after any plyo WODs. I really wanted to go to crossfit Wednesday, but I was still feeling quite under the weather, the raspberry on my butt hurt, and I could barely walk due to my calves. I rested up and got back into the gym today for a light-ish workout. I was jumpy on caffeine, still feeling slightly sick/sore, and pretty tired. Didn’t preform as well as I would have liked, but eh. I just wasn’t all there today. I was all over the place and didn’t get an actual WOD in, but at least I got some good strength work in.
- Jerk 2-2-2-2: 85-90-90-90(f on second)-85(f on second). Well. That escalated (or…deteriorated..) quickly. I think I started watching myself in the mirror too much and over-thinking it. I need to start lifting with my back to the mirrors. Would that be weird? Probably.
- Hang Power Snatch 2-2-1-1-1-1-1-1: 55lbs. Form and explosive work. Had a few really bad reps. Was really off today.
- 6 Rounds of: 1 Hang Power Snatch into 5 Overhead Squats: 50lbs. These felt good. I mean really good. Probably because the weight was so light, but I just felt on point and balanced and tight and great.
- 1 set of 10 Hang Power Cleans: 45lbs. Don’t really know why I did these. I guess my plan was to go heavier, but then someone came up and asked to use the oly platform so I just moved on.
- 50 Alternating Single Arm Dumbbell Snatch: 35lbs. THIS IS A BIG DEAL, YOU GUYS. Just in the beginning of December I tried using the 35lb dumbbell for these. Nope. Couldn’t do it. Could barely even do the 30lb, and failed almost every rep on my left side. On Tuesday I used the 30lb DB in the WOD for this movement, and they felt just really great. Today, I wanted to try the 35 and go until I couldn’t anymore, but taking appropriate rest. I literally could have done these ALL DAMN DAY. I was explosive and strong and my grip was on point and everything felt so great. I think working on the hang power snatch has really helped me use my hips in that nice triple extension to help pop the weight up there. A few of these almost got away from me at the top, even!
- 50 American Kettlebell Swings (overhead): 35lbs. I really wanted to finish with GHDs again, but there was a guy on there who was doing the stupid plate transfer from side to side, and he looked like he was going to do it forever. This was a good decision though, because my abs are still sore from Tuesday’s GHDs!
I’m so damn happy with how my back/shoulders/traps are filling out. My tummy looks a little soft in that picture, and I’m totally okay with it. It’s weird. It’s as if the fat in my stomach has redistributed itself, so instead of being a little pouch at the bottom, it’s a thinner, more uniform softness over the entire thing. WHICH IS EXCELLENT. I don’t care about softness all over, and I know I talk a lot about not trying to lose weight, but damn did I want that weird little pouch gone. I stood in front of the mirror tonight after dinner, when I was getting into my pjs and I smiled so big and thought to myself “I am SO HAPPY with how I look right now.” And then I just couldn’t stop smiling, because, holy shit, it just keeps getting better. I get stronger and stronger, and happier and happier. I can’t even begin to explain how happy I was using the 35lb dumbbell today for the snatches. Or doing 150 Russian KB swings with the 53lb KB WHAT that is insane. Progress is the best. BEST. Motivator. Ever.