I’M AT THE BEAAAAAAAACH beachbeachbeachbeach. It would be impossible to try to explain how happy I am to be here (SPRING BREAK ’14!!!!!! Last SB of my undergrad!!!!!!!) but man, it’s so refreshing. It’s always great seeing my friends down here and crushing CrossFit Carteret’s grueling WODs with them, and then making a killer group post-WOD dinner together. Tomorrow is supposed to be super super nice out, so if you need me, I’ll be on the beach! Love me some beachy rest days. I’m so antsy for 14.3 this Thursday!!! I’ll be doing it down here, so I’m hoping it’s something in my wheelhouse that I can absolutely crush. So far, 14.1 and 14.2 have not been. I’m really hoping for nothing overhead, as my shoulders are in a constant state of being smoked lately. The upside to that? My shoulders are looking amaaaaazing! Baby boulder shoulders. I’m into it.
- Deadlift 5-5-5 @ 85% of 1RM: 165-165-165. Technically this was 80% of my 1RM, but the prescribed warmup sets for this were pretty decent (2 sets of 5 at 45%, 1 set of 3 at 65%, 1 set of 2 at 75%) so I was already feeling it pretty heavy in my back by the time I got to the last 3 sets of 5. I had a hard time getting the first rep of those off the ground while keeping my shoulders pinned back. On the first set it looked okay, but the second two were not so great. Once I get to the top of that first rep though, I can pin my shoulders and do the rest in great form; those first few inches get me every time.
WOD for Time: 20:30
4 Rounds of:
- 400m Run: subbed rowing.
- 25 Wall Balls: 14lbs to 9ft, Rx.
- 10 Ring Dips: Assisted.
This didn’t seem like it would be too bad, but I think the rowing sub killllled me. I forgot to bring my crossfit shoes down with me, and in anything else I could wear my crappy converses, but I just couldn’t stand the thoughts of pain that running in them would bring me. They’re so old and worn down in weird spots and totally not running shoes. I did remember my oly shoes though, so I wore those and they helped with the wallballs at least! These (100) wallballs felt better than the 90 I had to do in last Tuesday’s WOD at PCF though, and I really just felt like I was struggling the most because of how dead my legs were coming off of the rower.
Rare Tuesday morning showing for me today. The snow foiled my Monday workout plans, as the only class they held was the 430pm class and the roads were a mess by then. I decided this week I’d hit Tues/Weds/Fri as my 3x. Today was a weird CrossFit day…one completely void of barbell usage (minus the warmup). I don’t really like those days. But it was nice to see some old familiar faces of the noon class, and to get a few “dude where have you been?! We miss you here!” I like the noon regulars. They’re a good group of people.
10 Rounds of:
- 20 Seconds Handstand Push-Ups: 22 total, to 2 abmats.
- 20 Seconds Alternating Pistols: 50 total, assisted.
- 20 Seconds Rest
Brutal. Totally effing brutal. I am really really stoked with how I did on the HSPUs though. For rounds 1-4 I did 4 unbroken HSPUs to 2 abmats/round (one abmat HSPUs, I’m coming for you!!!), completely lost all coordination and strength for rounds 5-7 so I ended up doing 3 negatives/round for those rounds, and in 8-10 I got it back and managed 2 unbroken HSPUs/round. So that was 22 HSPUs to 2 abmats. I think that’s a PR? Either way, I don’t think I’ve ever strung together 4 unbroken, and especially not 4 rounds in a row. And 5 assisted pistols/round, and extremely uncoordinated. Today was an off day. But I’m very happy with my HSPUs!!!!!
WOD for Time: 8:57
3 Rounds of:
- 30 Wallballs: 14lbs to 9ft, Level II-.
- 10 Assisted Ring Dips: Level I, like a bawse. Godamn ring dips. You bastards.
Dude, 14lb wallballs are heavy. It’s been a long time since I did anything with the 14lb wallball (before my accident maybe? Over a year ago?) and man did it show. In the beginning I was thinking to myself “yeah, I’ll try to do the first 15 reps of each round to the 10ft target, and then I can drop down.” Lol or I could just not get the damn wallball up to that 10ft target no matter how hard I tried. My knees and hips felt really tight, and my shoulders were smoked from the HSPUs. It just wasn’t happening. I abandoned that 10ft target early on in the first round. It’s going to be a bitch when the inevitable 14lb wallballs come up in the Open programming. Speaking of, the Open really gives me something to look forward to every week!! I’m already dying for it to be Thursday for the 14.2 WOD announcement!!! I predict burpees and wallballs for this week. Also, ring dips are the worst.
I was having a stressful day after dealing with nutso dogs at the dog park, so I was feeling a little anxious going into this today. But it ended up being great, and I’m in a much better mood now! The more I workout, the more I realize that there’s nothing a little bit of lifting can’t fix. But now I need to foam roll my calves and take a nice long epsom salt bath. Ahhh, the weekend. I’m going to do a free class with a couple friends tomorrow, and I’m really looking forward to it!!!!
- Back squat 15-15, sets must be completed in under 45 seconds: 85-85. A couple weeks ago I did these at 85, but it was a struggle just to finish them in a minute! This week, I finished them in 37 and 39 seconds. Next week I’m planning on adding 10lbs to these, because I definitely crushed them today. And video!
WOD for Time: 13:16
2 Rounds of:
- 10 Assisted Ring Dips: Level I, Ugh. Ring dips are the worst.
- 10 Clean and Jerks: 80lbs, Level II. Perfect weight. Super challenging, but still do-able.
- 100 Double-Unders: Rx. My forearms and calves were smoked from these!
Man, the 2 rounds definitely masked this one. I felt like this wouldn’t be too bad, but it was rough. My entire body is dead! I’m glad I did the weight I did, and that I chose to do the full amount of double-unders. Level II was 75 du’s, which really isn’t that much less than 100, so I decided to just kill the prescribed reps. Woo!
Rough day. Bad exam, still feeling under the weather, a dude backed into my car in the Whole Foods parking lot, dog came within an inch of being attacked at the dog park, spent an hour and 30+ minutes trying to go about 20 miles. Oof. So today was not my best day at the box. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. Repeat. Breathe. Haha.
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 90-95-95-90. Lots of misses in these. Form was janky at best. My legs are still shot from Monday.
WOD for Time: 8:15
4 Rounds of:
- 8 Dumbbell Snatch: 35lbs, Level II.
- 6 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I.
- 40 Double Unders: Rx.
I was impressed with how…not difficult the DB snatches were. They felt strong and didn’t really wear on me too badly. Next time I’m going to go for heavier. The ring dips were definitely the limiting factor. Double unders were a little off today, but my last set was unbroken. The first four went about 10-30 +/- a few. I like having pretty solid DUs. At least those felt decent. I can’t wait to sleep tonight. Supremely exhausted and just over it today.
Oh, I forgot to post this! From gymnastics this past weekend! Back handsprings with the best coach. Sorry it’s such low quality!
A week from tomorrow is Halloween! How is that even possible?!?! I need to figure out a costume…and moreso than that…something to actually do. Ugh. Planning is hard. Sleeping is also hard, because my dog is the worst. One of these days I’m going to fall asleep right when I lay down, and actually sleep through the night, and get up feeling great, and not want to kick my dog in the head for keeping me up all night/waking me up multiple times throughout the night. And that day will be a wonderful, amazing, glorious day. Anyway, I’m going to make some butternut squash soup and a sweet potato for dinner, knock out some homework, and take a bath. Today needs to be over!
- Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1: 105-105-105(f on jerk)-105-95. I am being hard on myself about this. I should be freaking dancing like mad for hitting 105×3, when I could only get it once two weeks ago. But my brain is dumb and is making me feel bad about not getting 5 full singles at 105. Which is almost an unreasonable request, and I know this. Eh. Oh well. Next time.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 6+8
15 Minute AMRAP of:
- 7 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I. Mehhh.
- 7 Dumbbell Squat Cleans: 25lbs, Level II. Perfect weight.
- Run 200m: Rx. Sooooo sloooowwwww.
I don’t know why this was so particularly awful. I guess it was how frequent the running was? But on the 3 or 4 round-ers with 400m runs I feel like I can move way faster than I was moving today. Holy crap. My lungs were working way overtime, and my legs were jelly from the squat cleans. Ring dips weren’t too bad, but I can still feel it in my shoulders and triceps already. And then at the end I tasted copper and felt like I was going to pass out. Very weird day. I don’t usually ever feel like that at the end, but I didn’t sleep well last night and didn’t have enough food today, so I’m assuming that combination screwed me. I guess going by that it’s pretty amazing I hit 105 on even a few c&js.
Big physical and mental health day for me today. Lots of “me” time, with crossfit in the morning, a yummy lunch, and a whole day of knitting and climbing and girltalk-ing with my close girlyfriend, Jen. We ended up staying at the climbing gym for close to three hours, with surprisingly little downtime! I feel good today. Maybe it was the three-day weekend, or the fact that I haven’t gotten any of my exams and projects back over the last few days, but damn, I feel like I’m getting back into a good headspace, finally. Today I feel like I am an athlete. I read a really super great post today about what it means to be a “real” crossfitter, and how the only thing keeping yourself from being one, is you saying it or not. (Best line of the article: “Nobody’s gonna come by with a PVC pipe one day and dub thee Legit. You are a real CrossFitter.”) And, while that might sound like a damn obvious statement, it’s so easy to look at the monsters in the box Rx’ing WODs at record speed and impossibly heavy weights and think “I’m nowhere near that good” or make excuses for how not-as-strong/fast/fit/able you are, but when it comes down to it, you’re doing the same thing they are: you’re working your ass off as hard as you possibly can, fighting to improve on your own sense of self and fitness; so why does that make them any more of a real crossfitter or athlete than yourself?! It’s so silly but too often I slip into that mindset. I am a crossfitter, I am an athlete, and I am a better/stronger/faster me than I was yesterday, and that’s all that matters.
- Backsquat 5-5-5-5: 105-105-105-105. Last time we did a 4×5 backsquat cycle, my final weight after a bunch of weeks was 105 across. This is pretty awesome. The second set felt really great and I probably should have pushed up to 110, but I’m happy I hit 105 across the board today. Only up from here!
WOD for Time: 8:07
5 Rounds of:
- 6 Deadlifts: 125lbs, Level II.
- 6 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I. Meh.
- 12 Box Jumps: 20″, Rx.
I liked this! I liked this a lot! I usually hate the 5 round-ers, but this one felt consistent and goooood. My IT bands are tight as hell from it, but climbing helped a great deal. Warm muscles are happy muscles. Ring dips are still the bane of my existence, but I’m finally getting good at shoving my chest forward to help get a swooping upward momentum out of the bottom. That’ll help me along the line somewhere, I’m sure. But they are still the wooooooorst. Deadlifts felt awesome and completely manageable, and the box jumps were just an annoyance more than anything. We had a HUGE class (35+ people) due to the holiday, so it was fun having such crazy energy going on during the class!
- Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1: 95-95-100-105(PR!!!!)-105(f on jerk)-105(f-on jerk). SO HAPPY! I can’t believe I hit 105! That’s so great!!! Especially since I’ve only ever hit 100 once before!!!
WOD for Time: 10:37? I think?
- KB Swings: 35lbs.
- Ring Dips: assisted.
- Pistols: assisted.
Wompwomp. Ultimate scaling WOD. I did all Level I weight/assistance, but with Rx reps. Level II and Level I both called for 25-15-5, but since I knew I was going to be doing lower weight and more assistance, I just went for Rx reps.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 5 Backsquats: 85lbs. These felt pretty damn heavy.
- 5 Ring Dips: assisted. Eh. Better than a few days ago, but still so far from unassisted.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4
7 Minute AMRAP of:
- 8 Pullups: Level II.
- 12 Box Jumps: 20″, Level II.
First set of 5 unbroken pullups, lots of sets of 4, hardly any singles. Woo. Then I busted out a couple sets of 3 butterfly kipped pullups later in the day. Good day.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 3 Overhead Squats: 55lbs.
- 3 Ring Dips: assisted. We had the option to do either ring dips or pull-ups (if we couldn’t do muscle ups) and I feel like we haven’t done a lot of ring dips lately. Felt really tight in the chest on these, but overall felt strong.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 3+4
AMRAP 10 Minutes of:
- 10 Clean and Jerks: 55lbs, Level II.
- 10 Lunges: 55lbs, Level II.
- 10 Back Squats: 55lbs, Level II.
- 4 Burpee penalty every time the bar touches the ground (aside from c&j touch-and-go): 8 burpees total.
It was amazing how much I wanted to throw the bar on the ground and rest through this. I was not expecting that in just 10 minutes. This was fairly heavy for me, and I’m super proud I stuck with this weight the whole way through. The lunges were by far the limiting factor. I did back rack lunges, which we haven’t done in a really long time. My butt is so sore.