Holy crap, last day of September. Finally! It’s finally October! I love fall!
- Back Squats 10-10-10: 95-100-100. Stoked on this. Ran out of time AGAIN, but felt really good about them. Very strong all the way through, but that last set, whew. Perfect weight for today, but wish I would have had time to do one more set at 100.
WOD for Time: 14:07
- Hang Power Snatch: Level 11, 55lbs.
- Bastards: Rx. Aka lateral over-the-bar burpees.
- Pull-ups: Level II, unassisted with 15-12-9 reps.
This was awful! But so great! I really really felt like I got a solid workout today. I actually really like snatching, and this felt really good. It worked my forearms and legs and trunk and everything just feels great. Solid Level II. Slow, but solid.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 5 Backsquats: 85lbs. These felt pretty damn heavy.
- 5 Ring Dips: assisted. Eh. Better than a few days ago, but still so far from unassisted.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4
7 Minute AMRAP of:
- 8 Pullups: Level II.
- 12 Box Jumps: 20″, Level II.
First set of 5 unbroken pullups, lots of sets of 4, hardly any singles. Woo. Then I busted out a couple sets of 3 butterfly kipped pullups later in the day. Good day.
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 85-85-85-85. I felt really weak on the first two sets. Erika had watched the first two reps of the second set, and pointed out that when I was power cleaning, I didn’t move my feet at all, which caused me to jump backwards a little because of instability. She had me drill shooting my feet outwards as I whipped my elbows around, to give me a more firm base, and then I did the third rep of that set. Holy CRAP. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I can’t even begin to explain how invaluable of a coach Erika is for me. Last time, she pointed out that I spent so long setting up the first rep in sets of 3, and then rushed through the last two reps, causing sloppy form and bad/missed reps. She encouraged me to take my time with the setup of each rep, and it made a huge difference. Today, she corrected my form from “starting in my starting position and finishing in my start position” to “starting in my starting position and ending in an end position.” And the last two sets of 3 after that were complete CAKE. I felt like I was doing almost no weight. It was insane. I am still blown away by it!
WOD for Time: 13:08 Rx!
3 Rounds of:
- Run 400m: Rx.
- 21 Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs, American swing, Rx.
- 12 Pull-Ups: Rx.
First Helen, and I did it Rx’d! I’m so stoked. It took me a while because I felt semi-sick going into the workout today, but I’m so proud of myself for doing this as prescribed. Especially since it’s only been a little more than 6 months since I broke and dislocated my elbow doing pull-ups. Holy cow. That’s wild. So proud of myself.
No gas in the tank today. Felt slow. I didn’t eat enough for breakfast this morning before working out. It’s such a double-edged sword: eat too much-feel slow; eat too little-feel slow. Haha. Ah well.
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2: 85-85-85-85. At least I hit my sets at a solid weight, 85% of my 1RM. The same as the last time we did doubles, I think. Actually, this might be a PR for four sets of 2. Neat!?
WOD for Time: 13:49
5 Rounds of:
- 5 Power Clean: 75lbs, Level I. Probably could have done 80 on a normal day. Not today though.
- 10 Burpees: Rx.
- 10 Pullups: Level II.
Felt like I was moving at a turtle’s pace today. I did have an ah-hah moment on my 3rd round of power cleans, where I started really jumping the bar up, and all of a sudden my life got so much easier. I wasn’t putting enough into my legs, and was driving almost entirely with my back/hips. I’m not sure why. But eh. At least I got it sorted out semi-quickly. My 2nd round was the only not unbroken round of power cleans. My burpees were actually pretty steady in pace, but my pullups were very lacking today. I couldn’t get a good grip on the bar, and did sets of 3 and 2 almost the entire workout, with lots of rest and shaking-out. Dumb. Oh well. This was a fun WOD. It went by much quicker than most 5 RFT WODs.
Oof. Oooooooooof. It would only make sense that after writing that super long post about how amazing Progenex Cocoon is, and how much it sucks that I ran out, I would have the WORRRRRRST night of sleep ever last night. Literally tossed and turned in bed until 5:45. My brain was going nonstop, I couldn’t get comfortable, and I just wasn’t tired. At about 5:45 I started to drift in and out of sleep, but whenever I’d wake up to roll over, I felt like I was wide awake again. Finally got some sleep at about 7:30, an hour after Tyler left for work, and slept until 10:50. I was awake before my alarm, feeling miserable, but dragged myself to CrossFit. #justshowup, right? Ugh.
Every 2 Minutes On The 2 Minutes of:
- 6 Backsquats: 85lbs. About 55% of my 1RM. Did bad math, should have gone more in the 95-100lb range to hit 60-65% of my 1RM. Hey, I said I was tired.
- Max Set Unbroken Strict Pull-Ups: 5-5-5-5-5, assisted. Felt really good. Glad I could get 5 in each round.
WOD for Time: 11:30
- Row 1000m: Rx, 4:13.7. My PR is 4:11.x, so today I was hoping for 4:10, but I just didn’t have it in me.
Then with no rest:
4 Rounds of:
- 7 Deadlifts: 95lbs, Level I.
- 14 Push-ups: knees, Level I. Huge volume for my elbow. It is really sore now. My chest and arms were on fire at the end of this, so much so that I thought I was going to throw up. Ugh.
I started out at 125lbs (Level II) for the deadlifts but my hammies were so DEAD from the row that when I bent down to grab the bar the first time both my my legs shook violently and I almost collapsed. And again, my brain was complete mush from lack of sleep, so I just dropped down to the suggested Level I weight without realizing that that was WAY too easy for me. Eh. It was all I could do to get the 45lb plates off my bar at that point.
Today was one of those days. 1 out of every 3 workouts is going to suck, and it’s going to defeat you and you’re going to feel like crap. Today was that day. Monday and Wednesday were great days for me, so I just need to suck it up and be proud of myself for even getting in there. Yeah. Go me. At least I got in there. I also didn’t get upset and emotional and teary-eyed when I had to drop the weight on my deadlift, which is something that usually happens when I have to drop down from what I think I’m capable of. So that’s a win. Yeah. Little wins on this overall crappy WOD day. Go me. Happy Friday!
Whew! Today was pretty rough. I got some really great sleep, but this WOD knocked everything out of me! I came home, ate, showered, and passed out for about an hour. It was rough, but I really liked it!
- Clean and Jerk 1RM: 95(f)-95-95(f)-95(f). I wanted to get at least three good reps at 95 before trying to get 97.5 or 100. But today that just wasn’t going to happen. Oh well. I guess it truly is my 1 rep max then haha.
WOD for Time: 15:52
3 Rounds of:
- Run 400m: Rx.
- Rest 1 Minute
- 15 Shoulder to Overhead: 55lbs, Level II.
- 10 Pull-Ups: Level II.
- Rest 1 Minute
Everything got smoked from this! Shoulders, lats, arms, legs. Just everything. The rest allowed me to run a little harder each round, and to go all out and do all of the shoulder-to-overheads unbroken. I couldn’t get a good grip on the pull-up bar today, so I was limited to mainly sets of 4 and 3. But they did feel good. I definitely could have done the Rx weight of 65lbs if I had broken them into sets of 8 and 7, but I wanted to go unbroken. My first run took me 1:43, and I think that’s the fastest I’ve ever run a 400m. So that’s pretty awesome!
Every single night I have dreams about doing crossfit. Two nights ago I was doing a WOD with Elisabeth Akinwale and Camille Leblanc-Bazinet, and last night I dreamed that I was doing chest to bar pull-ups on a rope in someone’s house. It’s every single night now. Pretty awesome. Oh! Tomorrow is CrossFit Total day!!! I’m so excited! And also a little nervous, since I haven’t done ANY strict pressing since my elbow incident. For that, I’m just hoping I can meet my previous best of 57.5lbs. I’m not counting on it, but it would be awesome if I could. I’m really looking forward to pushing myself on my back squat and deadlift, to get a good new baseline of where I currently stand! I’m hoping I can get myself in tomorrow, but if not they’ll run a makeup for it on Monday.
Every 2 Minutes on the 2 Minutes of:
- AMRAP Unbroken Muscle-ups: assisted ring dips. Man, that bottom position of the dip is rough on my elbow.
- 2 Power Cleans: 85lbs. Felt amazing. And pretty great considering two weeks ago I couldn’t get 85.
WOD for Time: 9:12
4 Rounds of:
- 10 Pull-ups: Level II. Rx was chest-to-bar. So close to being able to do them!
- 10 Burpees: Rx/Level II.
- 25 Double Unders: Level II. ALL ROUNDS UNBROKEN. YES.
This was AWESOME. My pullups are coming along so well, and I’m really getting a good feel for regripping slightly mid-rep so I can get in a couple more. I did multiple sets of 5 again, a lot of 4s, and only a few singles. The burpees felt more sluggish than usual, because I was trying to pace them instead of going out way to hard in the beginning. But they felt good. And the double unders. Double unders! They are my new love! I’ve had awesome double under days recently. I meticulously picked out my rope today before the WOD, and I know I got some silly looks as I was comparing the lengths of the “standard” medium length ropes, but they DO differ, and it makes a huge difference!! In the warmup, I had one that was too long and it threw my timing off and I kept whipping my arm (still have welts), and then I switched to one that was too short and it kept catching my ponytail and then whipping my thighs (again, welts). So I’m very glad that I pulled out a different one for the actual WOD, because I ended up doing all 4 rounds unbroken! Such a great feeling. I feel like I’m finally passing my pre-injury capabilities (aside from ring dips and pushups, because of the bottom position of both) and making regular non-injury progress, and that is freaking rad. So happy. Blahblahblah so many words. I’m putting off writing a paper, can you tell?!
Okay, finally caught back up with posts after vacation! I forgot that Crossfit Carteret doesn’t do evening WODs on Friday, and they were closed on Sat&Sun that week, so we only ended up getting one WOD in while there. Got home late Monday and went to the 730pm WOD, which was crazy and late, but I PR’d the shit out of my back squat. Today was pretty great too! Here are tow instagrams I posted from the beach. Favorite place on earth!
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2-2: 80-80-80-80-80. That is a 2RM PR! I did my sets of singles at 80 last week, so I feel pretty good about doing sets of 2 at 80 this week. I had a few sketchy reps, but for the most part I have a pretty good system down for getting my left arm in the right position for the jerk.
WOD for Time: 11:55
- Pull-ups: 15-12-9 reps, Level II unassisted.
- DB Squat Cleans: 20lbs x2, Level I.
- Box Jumps: 20″, Level II.
This KILLLLLLED. Everyone was wrecked after this one. I had the Level II DBs out (25lbs) but I grabbed them for the first rep and that just wasn’t going to happen. Good thing I had pulled out the 20s just in case. My quads and traps are pretty sore from Monday, so I planned ahead. The pull-ups felt amazing though, and I got a couple sets of 5 unbroken reps in, which is so rad. I felt reasonably strong the entire time, but the DB squat cleans destroyed me. I’m already sore, so tomorrow will probably not feel too great.
Every 2 Minutes on the 2 Minutes of:
- 1 Power Clean: 80lbs. Felt so great. Strong and powerful.
- 2 Front Squats: 80lbs. SO GOOD. I feel like I’m finally getting the whole “breath in the belly” stabilization down.
- 4 Strict Pull-ups: assisted with one band. I wanted to be able to stick to all strict with no extra assistance per round, which is why I dropped the number down from the programmed 6. Slowly trying to build my volume again.
WOD for Time: 5:40
4 Rounds of:
- 10 Deadlifts: 105lbs, Level II.
- 15 Burpee: Rx.
Quick and dirty. I loved this. I did the prescribed Level II, and it was perfect. All sets of everything unbroken, with just the littlest amount of rest right between each round. I slowed down on my second round of burpees, but that was the only one where I felt like I slacked a little.
I got my hair cut this morning (exciting news, I know) and holy crap, it is so much easier to manage while working out now!! It actually stays up in a ponytail during double unders and burpees! It’s a miracle! And to be super cliche, TGIF, because holy CRAP if I’ve ever needed two full days of rest, it’s right now.
Ugh. This whole day was a giant big set-up for Katie-failure. It took a lot of mental strength to get in there today, and I’m glad I did, but ugh. Today sucked. But I did go to hot yoga yesterday, and had an amazing practice and came out feeling thoroughly rung-out and flexible and wonderful and am going to try to go once a week again. But my quads and butt were completely toasted from it! They are very sore today, which is great because it takes a lot to make them sore, but not so great for the strength portion of the workout today!
Every 2 Minutes on the 2 Minutes of:
- 2 Back Squats: 95lbs. Like I said, very sore quads and butt. I wanted to do 105, but…that just wouldn’t have worked today.
- 12 Toes-to-Bar. I think 2/5 rounds I only did 10. I was trying so hard to focus on the movement that counting just wasn’t working too well. First time doing these since the injury, and I’m getting better at cycling them. Need to be more confident with a big swing through at the bottom, and stop looking at the bar!
WOD for Time: 6:47
- Pull-ups: unassisted, Level I. (Rx/LII were muscle ups. Ha!) My hand tore in the first round. Then tore again on the round of 9. Big ones. Ow. I forgot how much that sucked. But today was my first time stringing pull-ups together again, and although they were only sets of 3 and 2, it still felt good…minus the tears, which felt freaking awful.
- Clean and Jerk: 55lbs. Ugh. Level I was 65, but I just can’t do that kind of volume at any substantial weight for jerks with my stupid elbow yet. Ugh ugh ugh. I wanted to do 65 so badly, but it just didn’t feel right.
Sooo today was crappy. I am glad I went, being fully aware of how not-great it was going to be, because that was a big step instead of just cherry-picking the WOD and deciding to go on Sunday instead (which I wouldn’t have done). I am remembering back to what Erika told me once, when I had a really off-day, physically and mentally: “1 out of 3 workouts is going to suck.” I dug back in my archives and found that post, and this was something that resonated with me tonight: “Life happens, and sometimes you just can’t get out of your head enough, and you’re going to fail at things that you know with all of your heart that you can do. And you know what? That’s okay, and better than that, it’s normal.” Well, life happened to me in the form of my injury, and I’m still dealing with it. So maybe 1 out of every 2 workouts is going to suck for a little while, but hey, it’s going to get better. I’m going to get back to my normal capabilities, and this will have been just a small speed bump in my road. Hm. I feel better about today after writing this. That’s really nice.