Wednesday already! How is that even possible?! Gosh I hope the next month goes by as quickly as this one is! So close to graduating. Ughghghg. So close, yet so so far. Taking it one day at a time. I can’t wait to get back to the beach!
- Deadlift 3-3-3-3: 165-165-165-165. I know, I know. Last week at Carteret I did 5-5-5 at 165. But THEN FRIDAY I did a million more heavy deadlifts in 14.3, and then this today?! I don’t think I’ve deadlifted this frequently EVER. I’m still (stilllllll) noodley from all of that nonsense, so I decided to match my weight from last week. They felt heavy as all get-out, and I was struggling by the last set. But I’m glad I’m at least consistently pulling decent weight!
WOD for Time: 8:36
- DB Squat Clean: 20lb dumbbells, Level II.
- Pull-ups: 15-12-9 reps, Level II.
Quick little burner. My legs feel like jello! And pull-ups again after Monday’s large sets?! Come awwwwn. I don’t have much to say today. This week is insane. 14.4 announcement tomorrow!!!! Maybe wallballs and burpees this week? Bleh! They have to show up at some point!
Man, want to know pain? Sit in the car for 7 and a half hours after doing insane amounts of heavy deadlifts. Ow. I’m just really happy I took the time Friday afternoon to roll out my back and hamstrings for as long as I did, directly following 14.3. I can’t even imagine how it would have been had I not done that. Oh, and, I should probably mention, I spent Saturday on the beach in my babin’ suit. What do I come home to? SNOW. A million inches of snow, and below freezing temperatures. I can’t even believe this!!! At least I get an extra day of spring break, and was able to make it to crossfit since the roads had thawed out by 430. Ass is officially in gear. I’m going to attempt to start 4x/week this week. I’m nervous, but excited, because I’m ready to take the next step and push myself to the next level.
- Hang Power Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3-3: 75-75-75-75-75. I’m still pretty noodley in my core from 14.3, so I stayed pretty light to protect my back in the jerks. I also used this as my first excursion into not dropping the weights from the top, but actually bringing the reps back down to my shoulders, then hips to reset, and then into the next rep. I haven’t done a lot of that since my elbow blew out last year, so that felt awesome.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 3+14 Rx & 3+10 Rx
AMRAP in 5 Minutes of:
- 12 Pull-ups: Rx.
- 6 Burpees: Rx.
Rest 1 Minute, then…
AMRAP in 5 Minutes of:
- 10 Thrusters: 45lbs, Rx.
- 1 Rope Climb: Rx.
Since it was a full class, we paired up and had the option to pick which couplet we wanted to start on. I stupidly picked the pull-ups/burpees, and definitely regretted that as soon as I got to the thrusters. But! I did manage to eek out 7 pull-ups unbroken in the first round!!! That was awesome!!!! That’s a PR for max unbroken reps. I think I’m getting stronger, which is great, because I feel like the last three or so months I’ve been about at the same point. Ugh can’t I just be strong as all hell now?! As I mentioned before, I’m going to try to start going 4 times a week, because I feel like I need an extra push and to shake my body up a little bit to get past this plateau.
I didn’t have time to write about this yesterday! This week is quite hectic, so I feel like I’ve been stretched pretty thin. I had a great workout yesterday though! I was originally thinking about going into the school’s gym early again, but then I saw the WOD scheduled for the afternoon and knew that it would probably be too much. OH GOSH and the CrossFit Open starts this Thursday night!!! I need to write about that tomorrow or Thursday!!!!!!!
- Front Squat 5-5-3-3-1-1: 75-75-95-100-110(PR!)-115(PR!!!). So the coach said we probably weren’t going to hit any PRs after doing the volume leading up to the single reps, but it’s been so long since I did front squat singles I knew that I would be able to best my previous 1RM, and I did, by 10lbs! Woopwoop! And that was even after a bunch of pretty heavy reps, so I’m sure I could front squat much more for a heavy single attempt. These felt so good! Form was a little sketchy, as can be seen in the video here. I shoot my butt up first and then compensate after rising out of the bottom. It’s gotten much better from how it used to be, but I still need to work on it, especially as I go heavier.
WOD for Time + Reps: 10:29 + 42 Burpees
5 Rounds of:
- 7 Thrusters: 65lbs, Level II-.
- 7 Pull-Ups: Level II.
- 7 Burpees: Rx.
Rest 1 minute, then:
- Max burpees in 3 minutes: 42, Rx.
Such a tough and weird WOD! I liked this kind of “buy-out” style, although a little more rest would have been nice! I recorded myself doing burpees for the first time ever, and I realized that my burpee technique is…special, at best. When I jump my feet up, I shoot my right leg out to the side so I land a little lower. I need to work on landing in more of a centered squat stance for sure. I’m not sure I’m willing to publicly shame myself with a video of my goofyass burpees yet. My pull-ups and thrusters were ON POINT (en pointe?) though. Woo!
I don’t know what has gotten into me lately!!! I’ve been sleeping super well, waking up feeling rested, and feeling super ready to start my days. Today, I woke up before my alarm. BEFORE MY ALARM. WHAT. Well, I kind of cheated because I wake up to say bye to Tyler in the mornings when he leaves for work, so I was already a little bit awake. BUT STILL most mornings I just pass the hell back out and sleep until my 4 alarms go off (8:01, 8:31, 9:01, 9:21) and I hit snooze on my last one at least three or four times until 9:35 when I have 10 minutes to jump up, walk the pups, and run out the door (that is my life, I’m not even kidding. Every. Single. Day. And it’s the WORST.) Moreso than not lately, I’ve been falling asleep super quickly, sleeping really soundly through the night, and waking up feeling good. How good? I’ll tell you.
I’ve been sleeping so well and feeling so good that I woke up and decided to go to the gym on my campus to pull a 2-a-day, and work on some weightlifting before class. And then I went to crossfit this afternoon at 430!
- Clean and Jerk 65% 3-3-3: 70lbs
- Snatch High-Pulls 100% 3-3-3: 70lbs
- Strict Press 75% 5-5-5: 45lbs
- Front Squat 85% 3-3: 90lbs
These were mostly technique and volume work, but they all felt really great. It was a good morning wake-up. Then I went to classes, and then crossfit!
- Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5: 65-65-65-65-65. I kept these light. After the heavy front squats this morning, and knowing that I had a million burpees and thrusters coming…I definitely took these easy.
WOD for Time: 13:12
- 40 Burpees: Level II.
- 40 Thrusters: 55lbs, Level II.
- 40 Pull-Ups: Level II.
I AM SO PROUD OF THIS. SO PROUD. I was the ONLY female in the 430 class who stuck with 55lbs, which was also Rx weight (reps were 50 down the line though), and there were some of the super beasty women there! I was really intimidated and almost dropped, but I decided to stick it out and just take my time. But I killed it! I was one of the first on the bar after the burpees, and then went 10-10-10-5-5 on the thrusters!!!!! I’m so proud of myself!!!! Making gains all over the place. Then I had to wait a good bit until I had my arms back for the pull-ups, because I really didn’t want to have a repeat of last year and go flying off again. I did really well on the pull-ups, doing 7 sets of 4, 3 sets of 3, then 2-1. Felt amazing, and I’m so proud of myself for this one.
Today ended up being so busy that I didn’t have time to eat before crossfit. It was..rough. But I not only got through it–I killllled it! Today was “1/2 Cindy,” with the full “Cindy” being a 20 minute AMRAP. I’ve only ever done both 1/2 and full Cindy way back when I was first starting, and I did the pull-ups with heavy assistance, and the push-ups on my knees. I crushed my previous scores today, and did it as prescribed!! So happy. I’m getting better about remembering to at least video my strength sets, but I need to start uploading the actual full videos, instead of taking clips from instagram haha. Baby steps! Also, the video cut off the lunges, which is probably for the best, because they were so ugly on each rep set!
- 5 sets of 2x (1 Snatch + 2 Overhead Squats + 1 Back Rack Right Leg Lunge + 1 Back Rack Left Leg Lunge): 55-55-60-60-60. Omg. These were tough, but so awesome. I really like barbell complexes like this. I definitely limited myself a bit by starting at 55lbs. I’ll start heavier initially next time, because I think I could have done 2×60 and 3×65 if I had planned better. I’m getting more confident in the overhead position again, finally.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 7+12, Rx.
AMRAP for 10 Minutes of:
- 5 Pull-Ups: Rx.
- 10 Push-Ups: Rx.
- 15 Air Squats: Rx.
Limiting factor was absolutely push-ups. I burned out on them very quickly, and the last half were kind of wormy at times. But once I fatigued, I broke them into 5+3+2, and that helped a lot. But the pull-ups!!! The pull-ups!!!!!!!! I did so many sets of 5 unbroken!!!!!!! This is such a big deal. I think I only broke up 3 out of the 8 sets I did. I had so much trouble driving my car after this haha. So dead already.
First WOD of 2014! I am still incredibly sore from Mondays’s workout (to the point that I could barely walk yesterday) but I knew the best thing would be to get my blood flowing and some mobility going today. I’m slowly easing back in after taking pretty much all of December off. My body composition has changed a bit, but I didn’t actually gain any weight, so that’s pretty great. Anyway, here’s to 2014! Tyler got me some packets of Progenex’s Flow hydrolyzed salmon protein isolate in Island Punch, and it’s SO GOOD. A nice change from the normal chocolate or vanilla options.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Front Squats: 75lbs.
- 8 Toes-to-bar. Didn’t want to tear my hands before the pull-ups in the WOD. Cycled 4 once. The rest were 3s and 2s.
WOD for Time: 12:09
5 Rounds of:
- 5 Power Cleans: 75lbs, Level II-.
- 7 Hand-Release Push-Ups: Level II.
- 30 Double-Unders: Rx.
- 7 Pull-Ups: Level II.
I reallllly wanted sub-12 on this, but in the last round my hands and the pull-up bar were SO SWEATY and slippery. I had to do singles for all 7, and that just ate up the clock. I’m not as much as a dare-devil as I used to be at hanging onto the bar for oneeee moreee rep after my injury. I ended up tearing both of my hands on the first rep of the last round too, so that didn’t help the situation. I hate how soft my hands get after not doing pull-ups or TTB for a while. They tear every single time. But this was the perfect scaling for me. I didn’t want to kill myself on the front squats since my legs are still really sore from Monday, and same with the power cleans in the WOD. Double-unders are such cake for me now! At least I still feel good at those!
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Power Clean/Lunge R/Lunge L/Jerk (P Curtis): 75lbs. Easy. Probably should have done 85lbs since it was only 5 reps!
- 4 Ring Dips: assisted, but I finally feel like I’m making progress on them! All 4 of each round felt strong, and I used less assistance than usual.
WOD for Time:
- Pull-ups, Level II. Started doing chest-to-bar pull-ups, which was Rx, and got through the first round, but was wayyyy to tired in the next. Very happy.
- Overhead Squats 55lbs, Level I. I couldn’t get my grip/positioning right on the first round, but did the 12 and 9 rounds unbroken. Definitely limited by the shoulders, not the legs!
- Over the Box Jumps: 20″, Rx. Easy. Jumped on and then over. I chugged through easily, with no rest. I actually really liked these. These were a nice change from normal box jumps.
KILLLLLED it yesterday. I forgot to post last night, and now I’m procrastinating studying for an exam I have tomorrow. Perfect time to catch up!
- Back squat 5-5-5-5: 115-115-115-115. These were hard, but good. I really had to give it my all on the last two reps of each round. My coach caught me dipping too low on my squats, which was making it hard for me to get out of the hole. I really need to work on limiting my depth to right below parallel so I don’t sacrifice form for weight.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4+7 and 6
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Pullups: Level II.
- 15 Wallballs: 8lbs to 10′, Level II.
Rest 3 Minutes, Then..
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Burpees: Rx.
- 10 Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Russian Swing, Level II.
So proud of this. My first 4 rounds of pullups were ALL UNBROKEN, which is fucking AMAZING. Then the last 5 went 3-2. Man, so great. The wallballs were all easypeasy, so were the burpees, and the kbs were kbs. I was breathing SUPER HARD at the end of this, and couldn’t get off the floor for a good 5 minutes after. I really pushed myself and went super hard, and I’m so proud of myself. Felt freaking great.
Holy smokes!!! What a WOD! I love these chipper WODs, where once you do the whole set of reps for one movement, you’re finished with it. I also really liked the idea of increasing weights throughout the WOD. This was just all around really cool. I greatly enjoyed it.
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2: 95-95-95-95(-95 bonus!). These felt pretty damn great. The cleans were surprisingly easy, which is usually what I feel the most limited by. I am feeling pretty confident with my c&js lately.
WOD for Time: 14:56
- 30 Overhead Lunges: 35lbs, Rx.
- 20 Pull-ups: Level II.
- 10 Squat Snatches: 35lbs, Level I-ish (Level II weight was 55lbs..that just wasn’t happening.)
- Run 600m: Rx.
- 10 Jerks: 75lbs, Level II.
- 20 Hang Power Cleans: 75lbs, Level II.
- 30 Wallballs: 8lbs to 10′, Level II.
Alllllllmost true Level II. If the snatches had been power snatches, I could have easily done 55lbs. But I’m just not in practice enough to do the technical element of the squat snatch. It’s crazy though. I really could feel my strength on this WOD. Things I thought were going to suck (ahem, lunges, jerks) weren’t bad at all. I also got a set of 7 pullups in, which is maybe a PR? I’m not sure. Anyway, I felt strong and awesome and fast during this WOD (minus the running) and yeah. I love today’s box day.
TGIF! I’m looking forward to a log weekend of homework, studying, knitting, and some light climbing/conditioning. I’m taking this Sunday off from gymnastics because of a sore left hamstring/groin, and because my partner is crime for those classes will be in NY. Also, I am proud of myself for actually showing up today, in spite of the crappy rainy weather. Knowing you’re heading into a workout that has running in it while it’s POURING outside definitely tests your motivation. Thankfully, the rain let up just in time for our run, and my freshly-dyed hair didn’t end up staining my clothes bright red, ha!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Front Squat: 95lbs. Holy heavy! I was thinking I could do 105. I think with a little more warming up I could have done it, but we were a little rushed so not today!
- 3 Strict Ring Dips: assisted. Meh. Don’t feel like these are getting any better lately.
WOD for Time: 10:25
- Run 600m: Rx. This felt easier than usual. What’s going on.
- 30 Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs American swing, Rx. All unbroken, I might add.
- 20 Bastards: Rx, lateral over-the-bar burpees. Eh. Slow but steady pace.
- 10 P. Curtis (Power Clean->right leg lunge->left leg lunge->shoulder to overhead = 1 rep): 55lbs, Level I. Wompwomp. The worst.
I am awful at lunges just in general, and after all of the leg stuff I knew I wasn’t going to be good for the 75lb level II weight. I barely got through the lunges at this weight!