So a few nights ago I finally ordered my first pair of weightlifting shoes!!!! I am so beyond excited. For the past few weeks I’ve been spending my nights reading reviews and looking at pictures of the couple pairs I’ve been considering, and it’s been causing me to lose a significant amount of sleep. Ha. It sounds totally ridiculous, but it’s true! I didn’t want a purely powerlifting shoe; I was looking for something that I could also do WODs with heavy lifting in, so something with mild mid-foot flexibility, while still having the raised, sturdy heel and good support on the outer edge of my foot. I landed on the new inov8 FastLift 315s. And the colors of them are excellent. They should get here Tuesday, and I am so excited to play with them!!! If I dislike them, I’ll move to the red AdiPower by Adidas, but I’m hoping that these will continue my love affair with inov8s!
Also, today at noon I went to a free class with a couple friends who are interested in starting crossfit at some point. I really hope they end up joining, as it would be nice to have more friends! I have so many people who tell me they’re interested in trying it or want to start, but no one follows through. I wish I knew more people who were interested in this kind of lifestyle. Anyway! It was a good quick burner, especially after yesterday’s WOD. My shoulders and legs are still completely dead!
WOD for Reps: 310
3 Rounds of:
- 1 Minute American Kettlebell Swings, 35lbs.
- 1 Minute Ring Rows
- 1 Minute Sit-Ups
- 1 Minute Burpees
- 1 Minute Rest
103-103-104. Sore. Sore sore sore. I am considering going to a pole dancing class this afternoon…but….I’ll have to see how I’m feeling after stretching a little more!
Finally getting back to the elusive mid-week WOD!! How I’ve missed you so. My schedule this semester ended up changing, and I am not going to have to miss Mondays/Wednesdays afterall! Squats and oly lifts galore!! I was sore today, but was determined to get in there for my first Wednesday WOD of the year. Ugh, three weeks into January!!! Whatever, I did it! Time to solidify a good foundation for the rest of the year. I’ve been seeing more progress again, especially after cutting back on crap eating this month and it’s the best motivation to keep going. Look at my traps! Look at them!!!! Ahhh!
- Power Snatch 5-5-5-5: 60-60-60-60. Haven’t snatched in forever, so this was mainly an exercise in confidence, and testing muscle memory. I was popping my hips up too fast, which was causing me to bend my elbows early in the end of the triple extension, but I think I’ve corrected that. The coach complemented my “great olympic-looking setup” which was the highlight of everything. It’ll be interesting to see if they change Wednesdays to snatch days, since it’s usually clean&jerk, jerk, push press, or strict press.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4+4, Rx!
AMRAP in 12 Minutes of:
- 20 Box Jumps: 20″, Rx.
- 15 American Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs, Rx.
- 10 Kettlebell Goblet Lunges: 35lbs, Rx.
I love Rx-ing WODs. The box jumps completely killed my time. If it had been 15ish, I would have been able to smoke myself and get at least another round+ in, but 20 is just a lot of anything. The KB swings were cake, but the lunges made my already-burning calves even worse. I am happy (well, maybe happy isn’t the right word…) they are programming more lunges lately, because for some reason I am just horrible at them. Seriously, I look like a baby horse taking its first few steps on every single rep. It’s pitiful. But hey, what I lack in stability I make up for with heart and motivation to push through, and that’s what matters…right? Right guys?
- Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1: 95-95-100-105(PR!!!!)-105(f on jerk)-105(f-on jerk). SO HAPPY! I can’t believe I hit 105! That’s so great!!! Especially since I’ve only ever hit 100 once before!!!
WOD for Time: 10:37? I think?
- KB Swings: 35lbs.
- Ring Dips: assisted.
- Pistols: assisted.
Wompwomp. Ultimate scaling WOD. I did all Level I weight/assistance, but with Rx reps. Level II and Level I both called for 25-15-5, but since I knew I was going to be doing lower weight and more assistance, I just went for Rx reps.
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 85-85-85-85. I felt really weak on the first two sets. Erika had watched the first two reps of the second set, and pointed out that when I was power cleaning, I didn’t move my feet at all, which caused me to jump backwards a little because of instability. She had me drill shooting my feet outwards as I whipped my elbows around, to give me a more firm base, and then I did the third rep of that set. Holy CRAP. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I can’t even begin to explain how invaluable of a coach Erika is for me. Last time, she pointed out that I spent so long setting up the first rep in sets of 3, and then rushed through the last two reps, causing sloppy form and bad/missed reps. She encouraged me to take my time with the setup of each rep, and it made a huge difference. Today, she corrected my form from “starting in my starting position and finishing in my start position” to “starting in my starting position and ending in an end position.” And the last two sets of 3 after that were complete CAKE. I felt like I was doing almost no weight. It was insane. I am still blown away by it!
WOD for Time: 13:08 Rx!
3 Rounds of:
- Run 400m: Rx.
- 21 Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs, American swing, Rx.
- 12 Pull-Ups: Rx.
First Helen, and I did it Rx’d! I’m so stoked. It took me a while because I felt semi-sick going into the workout today, but I’m so proud of myself for doing this as prescribed. Especially since it’s only been a little more than 6 months since I broke and dislocated my elbow doing pull-ups. Holy cow. That’s wild. So proud of myself.
This has been the craziest 10 days! Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to get a Friday OR Sunday workout last week, so I only made it 2 times for the week. Bummer, but oh well, life happens. Due to my new school schedule, I have to return to evening workouts, with my Mondays being at 6:30pm. So late! I had my first late workout yesterday (Monday) and it was awful! I was weak and slow and everything hurt and today I feel like complete death. Hopefully I’ll get more used to this, and won’t feel like dying after getting into this new routine.
- Front Squat 3-3-3-3: 105-105-105-105. Like I said the week before going to the beach, I wanted to stay here for another week. And these felt even heavier today. There was no way in the entire world that I was going to get any more weight for 4 solid sets. But I did them, and that’s what matters. Next week…110. It’s happening for at least one set.
WOD for Time: 11:39
- Thrusters: 55lbs, Level II.
- Burpees: Rx.
- Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs American Swing, Rx.
This was annoying. KB swings and burpees, totally do-able. A couple weeks ago I did thrusters at 65lbs (5 sets of 7) with no issue. But these today DESTROYED my wrists. I’m not sure why the thrusters were so hard on them today randomly, but man oh man. I was almost in tears after the first round. I should have broken them up more from the start, but eh. Rx was 65lbs, but we were supposed to stay around 10 to 13 minutes, and I definitely would have taken longer than that if I had gone heavier, looking back. Felt good to do full KB swings at a manageable weight. One of these days I’ll get them at 53lbs. One of these days.
Holy crap it’s July. How is that even possible!?!?! Last WOD at PCF for the next week. We’ll be heading down to Crossfit Carteret for the 4th of July! Can’t wait to see everyone there!
- Back Squat 2-2-2-2: 130-130-130-130(PR). And that is a very solid PR, doing 4 full sets to full depth. I definitely have Erika to thank for the tip to eat more directly after working out, and on my non-WOD days. I feel like I have more energy and muscle endurance for sure. These felt really great, and I think proper bar placement was really an issue for me in the past as well.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 8+15 Rx!!!
AMRAP for 10 Minutes of:
- 10 KB Swings: 35lbs, Rx.
- 10 Goblet Lunge: 35lbs, Rx.
First time doing full American swings! They felt so great. The lunges were pretty yucky, but that’s because they’re lunges and they’re always yucky. This was a total ninja WOD. Doesn’t look too bad, but all of a sudden you’re dying from it. I think it was mainly due to the fact that it wasn’t super heavy, so you really could do 10 minutes straight with very little rest. I remember at the end of the second minute thinking “holy crap, I have to do what I just did 5 more times?!?” Ha! Super sneaky. My quads and butt feel great. I also got to come home and have a delicious leftover chicken pot pie that I made for dinner last night. Happiest belly!
Fair warning: I’m feeling chatty today, so this post is pretty wordy. I also had stronger coffee than normal this morning, so that could be partially to blame.
That being said, I’m also completely exhausted today. For some reason, being at Regionals completely took everything out of me. I don’t know if it was the humidity, or standing up for a lot of the day, or being so focused on what was going on for so long, but both Saturday and Sunday I got home and immediately passed out for a few hours, before eating and then going to sleep fairly early. I woke up this morning and felt weak and stiff, and the metcon for today looked awful, but I got in there.
Ugh, the quality on this is awful!
- Back Squat 3-3-3-3: 125-130(PR!)-125-125(f on 3rd rep). I didn’t quite break parallel on the last rep at 130, but I got down in the first two. Even getting two solid reps at 130 is a pretty big PR for me, so I’m not too upset. Today I was bending all over the place though. I couldn’t get my midline stabilization locked in, so I was bending forward a pretty decent amount on the last two sets, which eventually caused me to fail on the last rep of the fourth set. Next week I’m going to stick at 125 (assuming we’re still doing sets of 3) and get four solid sets in again and then move up from there. Probably a little too ambitious for a day where I already felt weak and wobbly.
WOD for Time: 16:55
3 Rounds of:
- Run 600m: Rx.
- 20 Push-Ups: Knees, Level II. Elbow felt weak today, along with everything else.
- 20 KB Swings: 35lbs, Level I+, somewhere between Russian and American.
On the KB swings, I decided to just go as high as I could without getting the full extension of my arms and shoulders. I was swinging it above my head every time, but not all the way. It was the first time attempting full-ish swings since, mmm, February? Before my elbow incident. Part of me is irritated I didn’t just go for full push-ups and KB swings, but I also know that I probably would have pushed too hard. Ugh, being almost healed from an injury and having to limit yourself is almost as bad as being fully injured! I am extremely proud of myself for the runs though. I wasn’t moving as fast as I do on the 400ms, but I also didn’t stop to walk once. I remember when not walking during 400m runs was an accomplishment. It’s so mental for me, and today could have been because I was so focused on not slipping and falling on the wet pavement that I didn’t even have time to think about how much running sucks. Whatever the reason, I’m damn proud of myself for not stopping.
Okay, now I have a bunch to say about how inspiring Regionals was, and how much I love Patriot. Putting it behind a cut, because it’s pretty boring.
I PROMISE I will write about Hope for Kenya tomorrow. There was some pretty bad stuff that happened this weekend, and I just haven’t had time. Also, none of ya jerks contributed, so no video for you! But oh well. I did this for me, and to prove that I could stick to something, and because of this I’ve signed up for the 2013 CrossFit Open as well. I know I won’t be able to Rx hardly any of the WODs in full, but I guess it’s a big step for me, mentally. I AM making progress, I AM getting better, I AM pushing myself, and I WILL NOT STOP.
- Squat 1-1-1-1-1: 125-135-135-135(f)-125-125. My legs are still completely smoked from Friday and Saturday’s WODs. At least I got two completed reps in this week. I rushed into the third and my breath wasn’t set, and it was a mess. But I’m still very happy I’m doing multiple sets at 125, whereas back in October I could barely do a single one, which probably wasn’t even to full depth.
WOD for Time: 11:03
- Overhead Squat: 55lbs, Level II.
- Pull-up: 15-12-9 reps, Level II.
- KB Swing: 35lbs American, Level II.
I am pretty stoked. I’ve made huge strength gains in the past couple months. Two weeks ago I was doing sets of 5 overhead squats at 55lbs at my university’s gym, so I knew that I was capable of doing them at that weight. In the beginning of the WOD, Erika said something to the effect of “if you’re going to be doing sets of 5, go lighter. You don’t want to be doing more breaks than 7-7-7 in the first round.” So right there I decided I was bound and determined to KILL these OHSs. I ended up breaking them up as 11+10 the first round, 10+5 the second round, and 7+2 in the final. I hang power snatched the weight overhead each time I started, and I swear, by the last round my grip was so completely gone that I didn’t think I was going to be able to get it overhead. But I did. And shit yes. I am so proud of myself for sticking through this WOD at that weight. My legs were killing me, so were my wrists and lats and hands, but I fought for every rep and I deserved my finish today. The pullups were great too. The first round I did 5-5-5, second I did 4-3-2-1-1-1 because I felt like I was dying, and the last round I knocked out 4-3-2. I’m very proud of my pullups. What gets me is when I don’t swing through enough at the bottom, and then I get a weird swing and my momentum is off and I can’t readjust my grips midswing. But I can’t believe I did three sets of 5 in the beginning!! And the KB swings were all unbroken, because I love them and I’m awesome at them. I’m just very excited that I did this all at Level II, and pushed myself to go heavy on the OHSs, probably my least-confident lift of all. But holy crap, am I going to be sore tomorrow. I’m going to take tomorrow as a pure rest day, and it’s going to be amazing.
YOU GUYS. YOU GUYYYYYYYSSSSSSS. I don’t even care that I didn’t work out hardly at all last week. This is a new week, and I am killing it so far!! PR squat!!!!!
- Squat 1-1-1-1-1: 125(previous 1RM)-130(PR)-135(SUPER PR)-135(fail)-130. GAAAAAAAAAAD. I am SO HAPPY about this. For some reason, the 125 rep felt so much heavier than the 130 and 135. I think I was off balance or something, because there is no reason for that. I wish I had known that I was going to be able to push that far! I would have done less warming up. I think today I did 5×35, 3×65, 3×85, 2×115, 1×125, then went into the above reps. I definitely would have cut out the 65s and the 115s, and gone for 140. I had no idea they were going to feel that good!!! Ahhhhh. That is 15lbs over my body weight. The last time we did 1RM back squat was for CFT back in…September? October? And I remember my hit at 125 was to a questionable depth, too. Back then, that was ~5lbs under my bodyweight. Ahhhhhh. Such a win.
WOD for Reps: 139
- Row for Calories: Rx.
- Push-ups: Knees, Level I. Bah. Half-argued with the coach about whether I should do them on my knees or fewer strict. He wanted volume.
- American Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs, Rx.
- Complete 6 rounds of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Do all 6 rounds of one exercise before you move onto the next.
Somehow this was my first time doing any sort of tabata workout. I’ve heard how horrible they are, but man, I really freaking liked this. I always take an extra half-swing on the KBs to get it up overhead the first time, so that took away a rep or two. On the rowing, I kept forgetting to use big, powerful, explosive pulls, and slower recovery going back to the front. I lost some energy/cals there, but overall I’m pretty happy. And..the push-ups..were push-ups..so they were grueling and awful. I was very surprised how sore my arms were from the push-ups going into the KB swings! Even not muscling the KB up and really using my arms merely as straps, my damn forearms were killing me!
Gym tomorrow between classes! Wheeee.
Thursday night was probably the first really good night of sleep I’ve had in months. I woke up only feeling slightly drowsy, but ready to start the day, unlike most days when it feels like the world will end if I leave my bed. I ended up getting a ton of things done after class, and started feeling the effects of a long crazy day while still being slightly sick. I started to get the “I don’t want to work out today” blues, and all of a sudden a message from a close friend’s girlfriend appeared in my inbox, with her saying that she wished she had the motivation to workout like I do. And holy crap, all of my motivation came rushing back, and all of a sudden I was throwing on my workout clothes to head to crossfit. And boy am I glad that I did.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Deadlifts ~70% of 1RM: 125lbs. That is more than my bodyweight. I did 20 reps of bodyweight+ deadlifts. And they felt amazing. I probably could have done 135, but it’s been a while since I deadlifted and I didn’t want to push it too hard, while still being sore. Yes. Still.
- 2 Ring Dips: assisted, with a thin band. I worked on keeping my arms pinned to my sides at the top and bottom, and not letting my toes hit the floor at the bottom. I feel like I always used that as a safety. I’m getting really close to being able to do these unassisted, but by the 8th round I was super shaky.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 9+7? 10+7? I lost count :(
10 Minute AMRAP of:
Yeah, you read that right. I did three whole unassisted pistols during this. And I freaking FOUGHT for them. The rest of the time I really tried to just barely assist myself in the pistols, and holy crap, my ass muscles are feeeeeeeeling those today. I am definitely looking forward to getting more unassisted, and hopefully charging through a whole WOD with them unassisted at some point soon.