Gah. Strained my right shoulder (rotator cuff possibly…didn’t mess with it enough to find out) during the warm-up. I find myself just going through the motions in the warm-ups when I’m sore or tired, and sometimes don’t put enough effort into activating the accessory muscles surrounding my joints. I’m guessing that’s what happened here. We were drilling for our snatches, and something just clicked wrong. I took it pretty easy for the rest of the workout, but at least I did it.
- Snatch 5-3-3-2-2-1-1: 35-55-55-65-55-55-55. I was really hoping to hit a PR today, but that just wasn’t going to happen with my shoulder. Backed off and just focused on punching through and droppin’ low at the top of the pull.
WOD for Time: 9:26
5 Rounds of:
- 20 Double-Unders: Level II.
- 3 Power Cleans: 65lbs, Level I.
- 3 Hang Squat Cleans: 65lbs, Level I.
- 15 Sit-Ups: Rx.
- 1 15′ Rope Climb: Rx.
If it wasn’t for my shoulder I would have been able to do the Level II weight of 80lbs pretty easy I think, but I was just not feeling super confident about cycling that much weight with my shoulder. I cycled all 6 cleans in every round though, which was the deal I made with myself for being smart and doing lighter weight. The double-unders were cake, as were the sit-ups, and I’m loving rope climbs again. Yayayayay. It felt like I freaking flew through this with almost zero rest. My shoulder isn’t feeling bad now, so as of now I’m still planning on going tomorrow morning. I’m going to stretch a little more and see how it feels when I wake up, but here’s to hoping! Squats, push-press, ttb, and lunges. SO not in my wheelhouse, but looking forward to it because of that!
Whoops, forgot to post this Friday! I’ve been swamped with work this week, and woke up sick as a dog on Tuesday morning, so I didn’t end up going to crossfit on Wednesday. But holy hell, did today ever make up for that. I’m going to be feeling this all weekend.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Power Clean/1 Hang Squat Clean/1 Front Squat: 75lbs. Man, this felt super heavy today.
- 2 Handstand Push-ups: to 2 abmats. 2 for the first 6 rounds, 1 for rounds 7-10.
WOD for Time: 13:23. DFL.
5 Rounds of:
- 7 Shoulder-to-Overhead: 65, Level II-. Started at 75 which was Level II, and I had to pull off the 5s from each side after the first two rounds. My shoulders were smoked.
- 7 Bastards: Rx. Aka lateral over-the-bar burpees. These were the easiest part.
- 7 Dumbbell Hang Squat Cleans: 25lbs, Level II. I’m so proud of myself for sticking it out with these. They were AWFUL.
This was soul crushing. I underestimated how dead my shoulders would be after the HSPUs, and definitely went too heavy on the s2o. There weren’t any 20lb dumbbells to grab so I went for 25, and honestly, I thought my legs and wrists were going to fall off. It was the worst. I finished last in the class for the FIRST TIME EVER and was in tears when I collapsed to the ground at the end.
Today has been LOOOOOOOOONG. I woke up at 4:57am to take my dog 3.5hrs south of us to Chesapeake, VA to have her pre-op consult and surgery for her detached retina. Turns out, her retina has been detached for much longer than they suspected. She ended up not being a candidate for the surgery after all. I really appreciate the fact that the vet turned her down. It would have been so easy for him to demand they do the surgery, just to get the money from our pockets. We would never have known otherwise. I did learn that there is a great chance of this happening in her right eye as well, so I need to keep a very close watch over her vision and make sure nothing irregular comes up. Anyway, ate some Denny’s, loaded up on coffee, and headed home (it took 4hrs30mins to get back…ugh). Overall, 450+ miles in one day, sitting forrreevveeerrr. I was ready to work out, even though I was still pretty exhausted.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Thrusters: 65lbs. Felt…good? Strong? Very weird feeling. I expected them to be horrid. Haven’t done thrusters in a while, so this was really nice.
- 5 Toes-to-Bar: Rx. Eh. Worked on technique and making firm contact with the bar every rep. Still not to more than 2-3 strung together. I can’t flick my legs fast enough!
WOD for Time: 10:37
3 Rounds of:
- 10 Hang Squat Cleans: 70lbs, Level II-. Perfect weight for me. Just enough without being crushing. Still had to yell at the last couple of each round to get up. My legs are toast.
- 15 Burpees: Rx.
- 50 Double-Unders: Rx.
Perfect! Perfect WOD, perfect scaling, perfect everything. So great. Now I’m super crazy energized, had an awesome dinner of Atlantic Salmon, mashed sweet potatoes, and guac. Oh, and some spiced apple cider because fuck yeah fall. Time to round out the night with some climbing. I’m probably going to fail a LOT because..well..leg day Homework forever this weekend. I’m so glad I went to crossfit today. Best.
Holy crow, it’s already the end of August. Where has this year gone?!?! I don’t even understand it!!!! I’m away for the weekend with my family and Tyler, and probably won’t get to workout over the weekend or Monday, which is a bummer, but oh well. I’ll make up for it at some point next week!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Power Clean/1 Hang Squat Clean/1 Front Squat Complex: 65lbs. Love these complexes!!!!
- 1 Strict Pull-up Negative. This was interesting. They either wanted 1 strict muscle-up, 1-3 unassisted strict pull-ups, or 1-3 strict negative. I really enjoyed this, and I think I’m going to start working on these at home on Tyler’s pull-up bar!
I feel like I could have gone maybe 5lbs heavier on the complex, but Erika said it should be about 65-70% of our 1RM squat clean weight, and the heaviest I’ve ever squat cleaned is 85lbs (I think? Maybe 90..) so I was a little worried about going heavier with that volume. But I warmed up quickly and easily completed each complex.
WOD for Time: 9:05
- Deadlifts: 115lbs, Level II-
- Hand-Release Push-Ups: knees (15-12-9), Level I. Wompwomp.
- Dumbbell Hand Squat Cleans: 2x 20lbs, Level II.
I loved this!! 2 Fridays ago we did 3 rounds that had 12 deadlifts in it, and I did 110lbs and they felt heaaavvvyyyy. Today they felt completely fine at 115!! I even felt like I probably could have done 120. The hand release pushups were almost..easy? I probably should have either attempted them in full plank at 15-12-9, or done 21-15-9 from my knees. Man, feeling progress is still so great. I’m so happy!
Have a great long weekend, everyone!