Rare Tuesday morning showing for me today. The snow foiled my Monday workout plans, as the only class they held was the 430pm class and the roads were a mess by then. I decided this week I’d hit Tues/Weds/Fri as my 3x. Today was a weird CrossFit day…one completely void of barbell usage (minus the warmup). I don’t really like those days. But it was nice to see some old familiar faces of the noon class, and to get a few “dude where have you been?! We miss you here!” I like the noon regulars. They’re a good group of people.
10 Rounds of:
- 20 Seconds Handstand Push-Ups: 22 total, to 2 abmats.
- 20 Seconds Alternating Pistols: 50 total, assisted.
- 20 Seconds Rest
Brutal. Totally effing brutal. I am really really stoked with how I did on the HSPUs though. For rounds 1-4 I did 4 unbroken HSPUs to 2 abmats/round (one abmat HSPUs, I’m coming for you!!!), completely lost all coordination and strength for rounds 5-7 so I ended up doing 3 negatives/round for those rounds, and in 8-10 I got it back and managed 2 unbroken HSPUs/round. So that was 22 HSPUs to 2 abmats. I think that’s a PR? Either way, I don’t think I’ve ever strung together 4 unbroken, and especially not 4 rounds in a row. And 5 assisted pistols/round, and extremely uncoordinated. Today was an off day. But I’m very happy with my HSPUs!!!!!
WOD for Time: 8:57
3 Rounds of:
- 30 Wallballs: 14lbs to 9ft, Level II-.
- 10 Assisted Ring Dips: Level I, like a bawse. Godamn ring dips. You bastards.
Dude, 14lb wallballs are heavy. It’s been a long time since I did anything with the 14lb wallball (before my accident maybe? Over a year ago?) and man did it show. In the beginning I was thinking to myself “yeah, I’ll try to do the first 15 reps of each round to the 10ft target, and then I can drop down.” Lol or I could just not get the damn wallball up to that 10ft target no matter how hard I tried. My knees and hips felt really tight, and my shoulders were smoked from the HSPUs. It just wasn’t happening. I abandoned that 10ft target early on in the first round. It’s going to be a bitch when the inevitable 14lb wallballs come up in the Open programming. Speaking of, the Open really gives me something to look forward to every week!! I’m already dying for it to be Thursday for the 14.2 WOD announcement!!! I predict burpees and wallballs for this week. Also, ring dips are the worst.
Sometimes I surprise myself. Sometimes I have a pretty good idea of how I’m going to perform, and then all of a sudden that changes. Sometimes it’s a change for the worst, but today, it was definitely for the better. I was planning on taking it easy, in anticipation of Hope for Kenya‘s WOD tomorrow. By the way, there’s still time to sponsor me! I also had some questionable dietary choices yesterday, in honor of Valentine’s Day, and was expecting to feel weighed down and sluggish. But I got in there, and I just felt good. I mean really good. During the warm-up, I felt like a damn super hero. I don’t know if it was the excitement and anticipation of doing rop climbs in the WOD or what, but I was just ready.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Power Cleans: 85lbs. We were really focusing on a slow pull, and the explosive extension when the bar almost hit the hips. I had a few weird ones in the beginning, and then it just clicked around round 5. I also realized that I was subconsciously fearing the bar landing on my shoulders, and catching it low by choice. Changed that, and everything felt perfect and amazing in the world and I am very happy I noticed this on my own. I actually felt like I could have gone heavier, which is so awesome, because it wasn’t long ago when 85lbs was my 1RM power clean.
- 2 Handstand Negatives: extremely slow and controlled. I want to have HSPUs SO BADLY. I have such a graceful handstand hold and kickup and everything from my background as a gymnast, and we used to do them in training when I was younger, but I’ve lost all of that ability. I was also like 9 years old and weighed nothing. I need ABMATs for home so I can practice these!!
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 8+5
12 Minute AMRAP of:
- 1 15′ Rope Climb: Rx.
- 10 Hand-Release Push-ups: knees. Level I. Still excruciating, and I was worried about all of the push-ups I’m going to be doing tomorrow!
- 10 Overhead Plate Lunges: 25lbs, Rx. (The video shows walking, ours were in place, front like steps out, the push off front leg to return back to standing.)
I LOVE ROPE CLIMBS. I just want to scream it from my balcony. I’m damn good at the wrap and stomp technique, and would love some time to practice the J. But man, around 5 or 6 I lost all coordination on one of them. It usually takes me about 3 and a half climbs to get up, and I think that round took me 6. It was awful. On the next round. I took an extra few seconds to compose myself, and jumped up and killed it in about 2 and 3/4. I had planned to break the pushups up into sets of 4-3-3, but instead I did the first few unbroken, and the rest I went 7-3. Felt great. Focused on tight butt and core, and squeezing my thighs. One day I’ll have these strict! And the lunges. Oh lunges. I had psyched myself out thinking that the 25lbs was going to be too heavy on my drive there. When it came time to set up for the WOD, I had a 15lb plate out just in case I needed to fall back. And then I decided no. I’m going to beast through this. I’m good at lunges. I have explosive, powerful quads. I got this. And I freaking KILLED them. I did each set unbroken, and they felt great. They didn’t start feeling bad until the last two or rounds, and even still, they were easy until reps 8-10.
I don’t know. I’m just excited. I’m excited that I’m feeling so much better lately. I’ve been tired and not sleeping very well and sore, but I feel like my brain has pushed the reset button, and it’s making dealing with the stress of life so much easier lately. I’m also dialing in my nutrition much better, and feel incredible from it. I am so excited for Hope for Kenya tomorrow!! Yayyayayay!
Thursday night was probably the first really good night of sleep I’ve had in months. I woke up only feeling slightly drowsy, but ready to start the day, unlike most days when it feels like the world will end if I leave my bed. I ended up getting a ton of things done after class, and started feeling the effects of a long crazy day while still being slightly sick. I started to get the “I don’t want to work out today” blues, and all of a sudden a message from a close friend’s girlfriend appeared in my inbox, with her saying that she wished she had the motivation to workout like I do. And holy crap, all of my motivation came rushing back, and all of a sudden I was throwing on my workout clothes to head to crossfit. And boy am I glad that I did.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Deadlifts ~70% of 1RM: 125lbs. That is more than my bodyweight. I did 20 reps of bodyweight+ deadlifts. And they felt amazing. I probably could have done 135, but it’s been a while since I deadlifted and I didn’t want to push it too hard, while still being sore. Yes. Still.
- 2 Ring Dips: assisted, with a thin band. I worked on keeping my arms pinned to my sides at the top and bottom, and not letting my toes hit the floor at the bottom. I feel like I always used that as a safety. I’m getting really close to being able to do these unassisted, but by the 8th round I was super shaky.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 9+7? 10+7? I lost count :(
10 Minute AMRAP of:
Yeah, you read that right. I did three whole unassisted pistols during this. And I freaking FOUGHT for them. The rest of the time I really tried to just barely assist myself in the pistols, and holy crap, my ass muscles are feeeeeeeeling those today. I am definitely looking forward to getting more unassisted, and hopefully charging through a whole WOD with them unassisted at some point soon.
Well, I woke up on Saturday morning feeling like complete crap. I felt like I was hit by a bus, and couldn’t stop coughing. Friday night I was planning on going to Crossfit Saturday morning to do Fight Gone Bad, which is one of the WODs that I love to hate. That’s how good I was feeling Friday night! Needless to say, I didn’t end up going. Yesterday morning it moved into my chest, so I went to CVS’ Minute Clinic to get checked out. Turns out I have both bronchitis and strep throat! Lucky me. So I guess I won’t be going to Crossfit for a few days, making sure I’m up to par, health-wise, before I put myself under stress again. That totally sucks, because there have been awesome WODs popping up for PCF this week. Bah! I picked up some feel-good foods while waiting for my ‘scrips to be filled, and I’m not even worried about it. I needed some comfort food, and they were delicious. Well, here’s Friday’s WOD, because I was too tired afterwards to post this!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Deadlifts: 135lbs. Probably could have gone up by 5lbs, but man they got heavy around the 8th round.
- 2 Handstand Negatives: stuck with 2 for all 10 rounds. Felt way stronger than the previous weeks.
WOD for Time: 11:53
3 Rounds of:
- Run 400m: Rx. Actually was able to use this as an active rest time. Such a great breakthrough.
- 21 Russian KB Swings: 53lbs. Level II. I love using the heavier KB. So much butt and leg action.
- 10 Ring Dips: one thin yellow band for assistance! Level II reps, Level I scaling. Damn you, ring dips. I’m getting better though!
I’m so happy that for the first time ever I was able to have the running be used for its purpose: active rest. My arms and butt were so toasted from the KB and dips, so when the running came it was such a relief. I’ve never felt like that from running before!! This shit really works. The KB swings were great, and the ring dips were..ring dips. 10 is a lot of ring dips in a row.
Ugh I can’t wait to not be sick and to get the eff back into PCF. Of course, this would happen as soon as I restarted my monthly membership. Oh well, in the mean time I’ll keep doing push-ups, pull-ups, and drinking lots of water at home.
Today was great, but I’m exhausted. Hopefully I’ll get a good night of sleep tonight and not die during tomorrow’s WOD!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes
- 2 Squat Snatch: 45lbs. Really worked on the shrug at the top of the pull, and speed getting under the bar. I tweaked my elbow weirdly at the 5th round, so that impacted me a bit, but overall they felt pretty good.
- 2 Handstand Negatives: to 2 ABMATs. I’ve been working on these for my press, and they felt pretty good today. At round 5 when I tweaked my elbow I dropped down to 1 per round.
WOD for Time: 8:30 Rx
This was awesome. The last time I did “Annie” was on June 21st, and when I had just gotten the hang of double-unders. My last time was 12:09. I bested that by over 3 and a half minutes today!!! So great. My double-unders were on point, and my sit-ups went as fast as I possibly could. I know I slowed down in the 40 and 30 rounds, but then picked up speed again in the 20 and 10. I’d like to get this down to 7 minutes.
Nothing else very exciting to share today! Lamesauce!
Oh man oh man oh man. So much greatness so far this week. I’ve been feeling burned out with dance class. On Monday night, I nailed a couple moves that I haven’t been able to get, and I felt really confident throughout the entire class. I’m hoping this wasn’t just a one-time thing. I even got the Jade Split! It didn’t feel like I was completely opened up, but I got it on video and I’m actually way closer to a full split than it felt like I was. Pretty much exactly this:
But I’m just so happy that class went well, I don’t even care that it wasn’t fully open. I held it, and then I came home and did it on my pole at home to show Tyler! I stupidly took the video sideways, so if I can figure out a way to flip it I might post it sometime…maybe..probably not.
Then today at Crossfit I used the 53lbs kettlebell for the first time!!!!! And did all 30 of the pull-ups unassisted!!!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Power Snatch: 55lbs. Y.E.S. A few were sketchy and I had two fails, but I redid the reps and felt awesome.
- 2 Handstand Negatives: Basically the starting point for the handstand push-up. You kick up into a handstand, and then slowly lower yourself down until your head touches the ground (or the abmat, in my case, so I didn’t slam my head into the ground when I got tired). The last 3 rounds were excruciating.
WOD for Time: 6:59
3 Rounds of:
- 21 Russian Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Level II. First time using the 53lb KB!! It was great! Each round I did all 21 unbroken. It definitely wasn’t as hard as I was expecting it to be. A couple of my swings came up well past eye-level. I’m excited to try to use it more now!!!
- 10 Pull-ups: Level II. I did all 30 pull-ups unassisted. And every rep counted. I’m so happy about this! I also tore the daylights out of my palms on the second round (picture below), so that slowed me down on the last round. But my time was right where the elite-elites’ were, so my scaling was perfect (down from 15 reps as Rx). I went about 4-2-3-1 for all three rounds, AND was able to cycle my kipping perfectly without any extra energy expense. 30 pull-ups is a lot for someone who just recently developed the strength to do them. I’m so happy.
- Rest 1 Minute: Rx, boss.
My power snatch was 5lbs higher than last week, I used the 53lb KB for the first time, and I did all pull-ups unassisted, even though I had a band set up on stand-by, incase I couldn’t hang. But I did. And I did awesome. Couldn’t be more impressed with my performance today and last night, especially since I haven’t really been feeling 100% health-wise this week.