Today! What a crazy day! Still trying to adjust to my first week of the new semester, so I haven’t quite figured out time management yet. I headed to the 430pm class, and there were only 4 of us! Apparently yesterday was one of the worst workouts anyone has ever done, so they think a lot of people took today as a mandatory rest day. I am also still SO INCREDIBLY SORE from Monday, so I don’t even know how people were able to get in both Monday and yesterday. Today was a short and sweet WOD. I enjoyed it.
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 85-90-90-90. PR! Not only have I never done a set of 3 at 85 (I don’t think..) but I definitely have never hit 3 at 90lbs. So stoked. I worked on dropping low under the jerk into a good solid split, and making sure to spend the time to reset well between each rep/not rush it.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 5+0
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Dumbbell Ground to Overhead: 2x 25lb DBs, Level II.
- 5 Dumbbell Burpee Deadlifts: 2x 25lb DBs, Level II.
I wanted 5 rounds, and I got my 5. No more, no less! I’ll take that. Was slightly worried about the stability of my left arm, but there was no issue. My back is going to be feeling spicy tomorrow!
Man, I tried SO HARD to get to do Memorial Day “Murph” yesterday. I didn’t know how I was going to manage that many pull-ups or push-ups, but I was damn willing to try somehow. I got on the road at 4:50 so I could get a good warm-up ahead of time, but unfortunately everyone on the island was trying to get back to the mainland to go home after the long weekend, and I sat less than a mile from our condo until 5:25. We had dinner reservations for 7:30, so I didn’t have time to stick it out and go to the 6:30. BAH. So I turned around in the middle of the road, drove back home (which took all of 2 minutes) and enjoyed the rest of the night.
Oh, before all of that, yesterday morning our condo association held a Bloody Mary contest, where you paid to enter and to “taste test”/judge, and all of the money collected would be matched and donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. So that was pretty great. I won second place, and would have won first if my dad hadn’t added half a bottle of vodka to my mix when I wasn’t looking. They were WAY too strong! I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day, and had a more successful “Murph” than I did!!
Okay, anyway, to today’s WOD!
- Back squat 3-3-3-3-3: 115-115-115-115-115. I backed off a little this week, because it just felt so damn heavy after not squatting heavy last week. I worked pretty hard on not leading up with my butt, and rising out of the hole at the bottom all at the same time.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 8 Full Rounds.
15 Minute AMRAP of:
- 15 Plate Ground-to-Overhead: 15lbs.
- 10 Plate Overhead Squats: 15lbs.
- 5 Burpees onto Plate: Rx.
This was a ninja WOD. I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn’t know HOW bad. I was completely dripping with sweat by the end, and my hands didn’t stop shaking for an hour after!! Rx weight was 25lbs for females, but since I can’t fully lock out my left arm with that much weight overhead without my arm collapsing in, I went with 15lbs. The 15 was great though, my pace was consistent through the entire 15 minutes, and it left me completely worn out! Had a huge dinner at home, and now I’m ready to pass out. Looking to grab a few more WODs before I leave this weekend! I’m going to miss Crossfit Carteret!!!
I know I said that this weekend was going to be for rest…but I couldn’t stay away! Patriot posted a really great WOD, and I had wanted to work on squats, so I decided to do their squat circuit from last week that I miss on Mondays while I’m at dance, and today’s WOD.
- Row 250m. I really wanted to break my 1:00.8 time from last week, and I knew I was capable of it. Today, I did!!! 00:57.5 seconds!
- Squat 3-3-3-3-3 (90% of 5RM. Do not go higher even if this feels light): 75-75-75-80-85. It’s been over a month since I did back squats last, so I had no idea what to expect. 75 was easy, and 80 and 85 were both still pretty easy. I knew I was going to be doing a bunch of goblet squats and ground to overheads though, so I didn’t want to completely destroy my quads too early.
4 Rounds for Time of:
- 10 Dumbbell Ground-to-Overhead: 2 x 25lbs DBs. This means getting the dumbbells from the ground to overhead by whatever means you wish, but they must make contact with the floor at the bottom and have arms locked out at the top. I did a DB clean and jerk.
- 20 Dumbbell Goblet Squats: 1 x 25lb DB
- 5 Pull-ups: Unassisted, strong as eff.
- 10 Push-ups: Knees, but chest-to-deck still.
Today, I effing GOT the pull-ups. I’ve done them unassisted before, but for some reason today, my kip was spot on and my grip was good even though I was SO SWEATY and everything was just in line for them. I could NOT do full push-ups for the life of me though. I didn’t sleep well last night since we were camping, and my chest was tight from sleeping on my side on the ground with only a thin sleeping pad. By the beginning of the second round my legs were already shaking when I started on the goblet squats! It was a good full-body workout covering legs, back, shoulders, chest, and arms. It sucked being so tired, but I wanted to try this workout so badly and I’m glad I got into the gym to do it.
And my yummy post-workout dinner! Epic Protein Powder […that’s the real name!], sweet potato and green beans, smothered in grass fed unsalted goat’s butter and sea salt. Mmmm.