This week! This week is crazy! No time to update. This is going to be short and sweet. CrossFit on Wednesday (yesterday) and a little bit of supplementary strength work at my university’s gym today, sort of laundry list-like. Trying gain some extra strength just in time for the Open!
- Snatch 3-3-3-3-3: 60-60-60-60-60. Worked on powerful legs and fast turn-over at the top. Felt much better this week, and I think I even did two extra sets of 60lbs, but I’m not sure.
WOD for Time: 5:18
- 30 Clean and Jerks: 75lbs.
Rx for “Grace” is 95lbs for women. The fact that to make this Rx for me I’d only have to put a 10lb plate on each side? Awesome. I dropped almost every rep from the top, which I think I have decided was a stupid decision. I didn’t want to overly strain myself, but at the same time, I wasted a LOT of time. But I really felt awesome, because I didn’t miss any reps, and didn’t even have any wonky reps. They were all clean and solid. They wanted us to stay around 5 minutes, and I had planned to be closer to 4:30, but I was already off of that pace by the first 10. That was pretty heavy weight for me for that kind of volume, so I’m pleased overall. Oh gosh, I just realized that I did this forever ago at 60lbs and it took me 4 minutes. I’ll take this as a success and improvement.
- Alllllll of the foam rolling and stretching to warm up.
- Back squats 5-5-5 (@80% of 1RM): 115-115-115. This was the strength programmed for today at PCF. This was more like 75% of my 1RM, but my traps are so sore from all of yesterday’s overhead work that resting the heavy bar on them was downright painful!
- Single-arm dumbbell snatch 5-5-5-5: 25-25-30-30. Too easy. Should have done more weight.
- GHDs: 50. Didn’t want to wreck myself the first time doing these in a while.
- Deadlifts 3-3-3-3: 135-135-135. I have such a hard time deadlifting with the fat powerlifting bars. My grip goes so quickly.
- And…that’s it? Wow. It felt like I did a lot more. Oh well. At least I got some good stretching, squats, and GHDs in.
Mondays are quickly becoming my favorite WOD day. I always have to force myself in there, but I have such a great time and I am consistently seeing progress. I also have teamed up with a lady who is at pretty much the same exact level as I am, and we’re able to push each other so well. It’s awesome.
- Squat 5-5-5-5: 95-100-100-100. Eff yeah. We were going to try for another set of 100 so all of our working sets would have been there, but we ran out of time. Definitely felt like I could have pushed through one final set at 100, and that is pretty damn awesome. And to think, back in July I was failing on the final rep of sets of 3 at 100lbs. Ha!
WOD for Time: 3:34
First time doing “Grace!” I was dreading this last night, honestly. Earlier in the month there was a WOD that had a total of 30 clean and jerks split up into sets of 10. I did them at 55lbs, (thinking back, I’m actually fairly certain I dropped down to 45 during the last round but forgot to write that) and they were absolutely awful..even the first 10 at the very beginning. Today, I did the first 20 unbroken and strong. The last 10 I could feel my back rounding a little on the pull, so I took my time a little more getting set up and really keeping my shoulders pinned back. I also push jerked every rep. Didn’t need to split at all. Woo! Looking at my time, I probably should have gone a little heavier. “Grace” is supposed to be quick and dirty, so I was definitely in the right time range, but I felt like I had a little more in me at the end. Next time I’ll shoot for 70, since this WOD probably won’t come up in the programming for another handful of months. Can I get a “hell yeah” for progress?! Hell yeah.
I caught a couple of the last cleans a little low, and my chest got in the way of the bar on the way back down once or twice by accident, so I have a nice little sternum shiner brewing. Also, completely obsessed with Flag Nor Fail‘s sweatpants/all their clothing (and let’s be honest, with DLB as well), and this protein powder. Favorite everything. Just killed a sweet potato, two scoops of that protein powder with 8oz of almond milk, an avocado, and four-ish slices of turkey, and now it’s time to shower and pack! No dance class tomorrow, so I might try to squeeze in a morning WOD if I have time!