I was really buzzing on my coffee from this afternoon (…that I drank at noon today…zero caffeine tolerance, right here) so I was feeling pretty excited to get in there and kill some squats. Little did I know today was going to leave me completely wrecked. I’m going to need a wheelchair tomorrow! Most epic of leg days. Thankful for CrossFit, life coach Erika, and my Monday night squat buddy Sarah for helping start this week on the right foot.
- Back Squat 3-3-3-3-3: 135-135-135(f on last, but epic PR nonetheless)-115-115. So, the last time we did sets of 3, it was 3×3, and I BARELY made 115 for all three. So this was freaking crazy for me. I’m pretty happy with accomplishing that, even though it wasn’t for all 5 sets. That’s a lot of squats.
WOD for Time: 11:39. DFL again.
- DB Ground to Overhead (2 DBs): 25lbs, Level II.
- Burpees: Rx.
- Goblet Squat: 25lbs, Level II+.
Although I finished dead effing last again, I’m actually really proud of this. I definitely pushed myself incredibly hard, especially after my “defeat” on Friday, which wasn’t much of a defeat looking back on it. I was just in a stupid headspace. But today I did all of the g2o’s in a single swing motion, almost like a double dumbbell snatch/KB swing hybrid. Took a toll on my back, but my wrists are still bruised and sore from the squat cleans Friday so clean and jerking just wasn’t an option today. Dumbbell workouts have been my enemies lately, and I love that. Going to keep pushing myself super hard. Was definitely yelling…a lot…today, which is very uncommon for me. Needed that extra umpf. Woo happy Monday!
I know I said that this weekend was going to be for rest…but I couldn’t stay away! Patriot posted a really great WOD, and I had wanted to work on squats, so I decided to do their squat circuit from last week that I miss on Mondays while I’m at dance, and today’s WOD.
- Row 250m. I really wanted to break my 1:00.8 time from last week, and I knew I was capable of it. Today, I did!!! 00:57.5 seconds!
- Squat 3-3-3-3-3 (90% of 5RM. Do not go higher even if this feels light): 75-75-75-80-85. It’s been over a month since I did back squats last, so I had no idea what to expect. 75 was easy, and 80 and 85 were both still pretty easy. I knew I was going to be doing a bunch of goblet squats and ground to overheads though, so I didn’t want to completely destroy my quads too early.
4 Rounds for Time of:
- 10 Dumbbell Ground-to-Overhead: 2 x 25lbs DBs. This means getting the dumbbells from the ground to overhead by whatever means you wish, but they must make contact with the floor at the bottom and have arms locked out at the top. I did a DB clean and jerk.
- 20 Dumbbell Goblet Squats: 1 x 25lb DB
- 5 Pull-ups: Unassisted, strong as eff.
- 10 Push-ups: Knees, but chest-to-deck still.
Today, I effing GOT the pull-ups. I’ve done them unassisted before, but for some reason today, my kip was spot on and my grip was good even though I was SO SWEATY and everything was just in line for them. I could NOT do full push-ups for the life of me though. I didn’t sleep well last night since we were camping, and my chest was tight from sleeping on my side on the ground with only a thin sleeping pad. By the beginning of the second round my legs were already shaking when I started on the goblet squats! It was a good full-body workout covering legs, back, shoulders, chest, and arms. It sucked being so tired, but I wanted to try this workout so badly and I’m glad I got into the gym to do it.
And my yummy post-workout dinner! Epic Protein Powder […that’s the real name!], sweet potato and green beans, smothered in grass fed unsalted goat’s butter and sea salt. Mmmm.