Finally getting back to the elusive mid-week WOD!! How I’ve missed you so. My schedule this semester ended up changing, and I am not going to have to miss Mondays/Wednesdays afterall! Squats and oly lifts galore!! I was sore today, but was determined to get in there for my first Wednesday WOD of the year. Ugh, three weeks into January!!! Whatever, I did it! Time to solidify a good foundation for the rest of the year. I’ve been seeing more progress again, especially after cutting back on crap eating this month and it’s the best motivation to keep going. Look at my traps! Look at them!!!! Ahhh!
- Power Snatch 5-5-5-5: 60-60-60-60. Haven’t snatched in forever, so this was mainly an exercise in confidence, and testing muscle memory. I was popping my hips up too fast, which was causing me to bend my elbows early in the end of the triple extension, but I think I’ve corrected that. The coach complemented my “great olympic-looking setup” which was the highlight of everything. It’ll be interesting to see if they change Wednesdays to snatch days, since it’s usually clean&jerk, jerk, push press, or strict press.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4+4, Rx!
AMRAP in 12 Minutes of:
- 20 Box Jumps: 20″, Rx.
- 15 American Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs, Rx.
- 10 Kettlebell Goblet Lunges: 35lbs, Rx.
I love Rx-ing WODs. The box jumps completely killed my time. If it had been 15ish, I would have been able to smoke myself and get at least another round+ in, but 20 is just a lot of anything. The KB swings were cake, but the lunges made my already-burning calves even worse. I am happy (well, maybe happy isn’t the right word…) they are programming more lunges lately, because for some reason I am just horrible at them. Seriously, I look like a baby horse taking its first few steps on every single rep. It’s pitiful. But hey, what I lack in stability I make up for with heart and motivation to push through, and that’s what matters…right? Right guys?
Holy crap it’s July. How is that even possible!?!?! Last WOD at PCF for the next week. We’ll be heading down to Crossfit Carteret for the 4th of July! Can’t wait to see everyone there!
- Back Squat 2-2-2-2: 130-130-130-130(PR). And that is a very solid PR, doing 4 full sets to full depth. I definitely have Erika to thank for the tip to eat more directly after working out, and on my non-WOD days. I feel like I have more energy and muscle endurance for sure. These felt really great, and I think proper bar placement was really an issue for me in the past as well.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 8+15 Rx!!!
AMRAP for 10 Minutes of:
- 10 KB Swings: 35lbs, Rx.
- 10 Goblet Lunge: 35lbs, Rx.
First time doing full American swings! They felt so great. The lunges were pretty yucky, but that’s because they’re lunges and they’re always yucky. This was a total ninja WOD. Doesn’t look too bad, but all of a sudden you’re dying from it. I think it was mainly due to the fact that it wasn’t super heavy, so you really could do 10 minutes straight with very little rest. I remember at the end of the second minute thinking “holy crap, I have to do what I just did 5 more times?!?” Ha! Super sneaky. My quads and butt feel great. I also got to come home and have a delicious leftover chicken pot pie that I made for dinner last night. Happiest belly!
Whew. I am struggling for time this week. Quick smash today between classes. Ended up with some surface injuries. Coupled yesterday’s strength component and today’s WOD from PCF. Short and sweet WOD, just like this post.
- Jerk 2-2-2-2: 85-85-85-85-85. Someone had hidden all the 2.5 plates and I didn’t want to try straight for 95. These felt solid though, so I did an extra set. Haven’t hit a Wednesday in a while, so I wasn’t sure where I stood. I know I’m much stronger than the last time we did sets of 2 jerks, I just didn’t want to push it and fall off the oly platform. Ha! The knurling in the center of the bar torrree upppp my right collar bone, the one that sticks out from the AC joint injury forever ago. I like that, because that means I was keeping the bar way up on my shoulders where it’s supposed to be. Injury #1.
WOD for Time: 7:03
5 Rounds of:
- 10 Russian Kettlebell Swings:
53lbs 50lb dumbbell. No KBs in gym. What it lacked in 3lbs it made up for in awkward hand positioning/wrist wrecking. I’m calling that Level II, in spite of the 3lb loss. Ended up with huge bruises on my wrists from this. Ow. The stupid dumbbells at the gym have unnecessarily huge weighted parts (they’re thinner but have a much bigger diameter) so at the bottom of every swing it slammed into my little babywrists. Ugh. They’re going to hurt for a while. Injuries #2 & #3.
- 6 Hand-Release Push-Ups: Level II. The last two rounds were a little wormy, but I did my best to stay super tight throughout, and am stoked to have stuck with them.
- 6 Goblet Lunges:
53lbs 50lb dumbbell. Again, I’m just going to call this Level II as well, because I know I’m capable of the extra 3 measly pounds.
This was a fast, solid workout. Got my abs, shoulders, quads, traps, hammies, chest, and even my back a bit. Seems to be about the time that people who were going a little bit heavier than they’re used to were getting at crossfit, so I’m glad I stuck with the 53ish pounds. If I can make it in tomorrow it’s Karen, which is 150 wallballs for time. Can you see the excitement on my face? No? Well, there is less than zero. Bah! Hopefully I’ll get another solid night of uninterrupted sleep, if the dog will allow it again, and I’ll kill it instead of it killing me!