Man, want to know pain? Sit in the car for 7 and a half hours after doing insane amounts of heavy deadlifts. Ow. I’m just really happy I took the time Friday afternoon to roll out my back and hamstrings for as long as I did, directly following 14.3. I can’t even imagine how it would have been had I not done that. Oh, and, I should probably mention, I spent Saturday on the beach in my babin’ suit. What do I come home to? SNOW. A million inches of snow, and below freezing temperatures. I can’t even believe this!!! At least I get an extra day of spring break, and was able to make it to crossfit since the roads had thawed out by 430. Ass is officially in gear. I’m going to attempt to start 4x/week this week. I’m nervous, but excited, because I’m ready to take the next step and push myself to the next level.
- Hang Power Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3-3: 75-75-75-75-75. I’m still pretty noodley in my core from 14.3, so I stayed pretty light to protect my back in the jerks. I also used this as my first excursion into not dropping the weights from the top, but actually bringing the reps back down to my shoulders, then hips to reset, and then into the next rep. I haven’t done a lot of that since my elbow blew out last year, so that felt awesome.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 3+14 Rx & 3+10 Rx
AMRAP in 5 Minutes of:
- 12 Pull-ups: Rx.
- 6 Burpees: Rx.
Rest 1 Minute, then…
AMRAP in 5 Minutes of:
- 10 Thrusters: 45lbs, Rx.
- 1 Rope Climb: Rx.
Since it was a full class, we paired up and had the option to pick which couplet we wanted to start on. I stupidly picked the pull-ups/burpees, and definitely regretted that as soon as I got to the thrusters. But! I did manage to eek out 7 pull-ups unbroken in the first round!!! That was awesome!!!! That’s a PR for max unbroken reps. I think I’m getting stronger, which is great, because I feel like the last three or so months I’ve been about at the same point. Ugh can’t I just be strong as all hell now?! As I mentioned before, I’m going to try to start going 4 times a week, because I feel like I need an extra push and to shake my body up a little bit to get past this plateau.
This week! This week is crazy! No time to update. This is going to be short and sweet. CrossFit on Wednesday (yesterday) and a little bit of supplementary strength work at my university’s gym today, sort of laundry list-like. Trying gain some extra strength just in time for the Open!
- Snatch 3-3-3-3-3: 60-60-60-60-60. Worked on powerful legs and fast turn-over at the top. Felt much better this week, and I think I even did two extra sets of 60lbs, but I’m not sure.
WOD for Time: 5:18
- 30 Clean and Jerks: 75lbs.
Rx for “Grace” is 95lbs for women. The fact that to make this Rx for me I’d only have to put a 10lb plate on each side? Awesome. I dropped almost every rep from the top, which I think I have decided was a stupid decision. I didn’t want to overly strain myself, but at the same time, I wasted a LOT of time. But I really felt awesome, because I didn’t miss any reps, and didn’t even have any wonky reps. They were all clean and solid. They wanted us to stay around 5 minutes, and I had planned to be closer to 4:30, but I was already off of that pace by the first 10. That was pretty heavy weight for me for that kind of volume, so I’m pleased overall. Oh gosh, I just realized that I did this forever ago at 60lbs and it took me 4 minutes. I’ll take this as a success and improvement.
- Alllllll of the foam rolling and stretching to warm up.
- Back squats 5-5-5 (@80% of 1RM): 115-115-115. This was the strength programmed for today at PCF. This was more like 75% of my 1RM, but my traps are so sore from all of yesterday’s overhead work that resting the heavy bar on them was downright painful!
- Single-arm dumbbell snatch 5-5-5-5: 25-25-30-30. Too easy. Should have done more weight.
- GHDs: 50. Didn’t want to wreck myself the first time doing these in a while.
- Deadlifts 3-3-3-3: 135-135-135. I have such a hard time deadlifting with the fat powerlifting bars. My grip goes so quickly.
- And…that’s it? Wow. It felt like I did a lot more. Oh well. At least I got some good stretching, squats, and GHDs in.
I don’t know what has gotten into me lately!!! I’ve been sleeping super well, waking up feeling rested, and feeling super ready to start my days. Today, I woke up before my alarm. BEFORE MY ALARM. WHAT. Well, I kind of cheated because I wake up to say bye to Tyler in the mornings when he leaves for work, so I was already a little bit awake. BUT STILL most mornings I just pass the hell back out and sleep until my 4 alarms go off (8:01, 8:31, 9:01, 9:21) and I hit snooze on my last one at least three or four times until 9:35 when I have 10 minutes to jump up, walk the pups, and run out the door (that is my life, I’m not even kidding. Every. Single. Day. And it’s the WORST.) Moreso than not lately, I’ve been falling asleep super quickly, sleeping really soundly through the night, and waking up feeling good. How good? I’ll tell you.
I’ve been sleeping so well and feeling so good that I woke up and decided to go to the gym on my campus to pull a 2-a-day, and work on some weightlifting before class. And then I went to crossfit this afternoon at 430!
- Clean and Jerk 65% 3-3-3: 70lbs
- Snatch High-Pulls 100% 3-3-3: 70lbs
- Strict Press 75% 5-5-5: 45lbs
- Front Squat 85% 3-3: 90lbs
These were mostly technique and volume work, but they all felt really great. It was a good morning wake-up. Then I went to classes, and then crossfit!
- Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5: 65-65-65-65-65. I kept these light. After the heavy front squats this morning, and knowing that I had a million burpees and thrusters coming…I definitely took these easy.
WOD for Time: 13:12
- 40 Burpees: Level II.
- 40 Thrusters: 55lbs, Level II.
- 40 Pull-Ups: Level II.
I AM SO PROUD OF THIS. SO PROUD. I was the ONLY female in the 430 class who stuck with 55lbs, which was also Rx weight (reps were 50 down the line though), and there were some of the super beasty women there! I was really intimidated and almost dropped, but I decided to stick it out and just take my time. But I killed it! I was one of the first on the bar after the burpees, and then went 10-10-10-5-5 on the thrusters!!!!! I’m so proud of myself!!!! Making gains all over the place. Then I had to wait a good bit until I had my arms back for the pull-ups, because I really didn’t want to have a repeat of last year and go flying off again. I did really well on the pull-ups, doing 7 sets of 4, 3 sets of 3, then 2-1. Felt amazing, and I’m so proud of myself for this one.
I was having a stressful day after dealing with nutso dogs at the dog park, so I was feeling a little anxious going into this today. But it ended up being great, and I’m in a much better mood now! The more I workout, the more I realize that there’s nothing a little bit of lifting can’t fix. But now I need to foam roll my calves and take a nice long epsom salt bath. Ahhh, the weekend. I’m going to do a free class with a couple friends tomorrow, and I’m really looking forward to it!!!!
- Back squat 15-15, sets must be completed in under 45 seconds: 85-85. A couple weeks ago I did these at 85, but it was a struggle just to finish them in a minute! This week, I finished them in 37 and 39 seconds. Next week I’m planning on adding 10lbs to these, because I definitely crushed them today. And video!
WOD for Time: 13:16
2 Rounds of:
- 10 Assisted Ring Dips: Level I, Ugh. Ring dips are the worst.
- 10 Clean and Jerks: 80lbs, Level II. Perfect weight. Super challenging, but still do-able.
- 100 Double-Unders: Rx. My forearms and calves were smoked from these!
Man, the 2 rounds definitely masked this one. I felt like this wouldn’t be too bad, but it was rough. My entire body is dead! I’m glad I did the weight I did, and that I chose to do the full amount of double-unders. Level II was 75 du’s, which really isn’t that much less than 100, so I decided to just kill the prescribed reps. Woo!
I’m still fighting my cold but I reeeeeeally wanted to do today’s strength set, so I decided to go and just go “easy” on the WOD. Haha, that clearly didn’t happen, but I feel so much better after sweating it out for an hour, and I feel like I’ll be able to get some solid sleep tonight from it. I’m really enjoying the programming leading up to the Open this year, and the emphasis on box jumps, toes-to-bar, and burpees. I swear though, if Karen pops up in any form again this year (150 wallballs….) I might just cry. Least favorite.
- Clean and jerk 5-5-3-3-1-1: 75-85-90-90-95-95. This was great! I barely had enough time to finish, so my last two singles were a little rushed, but I still hit them. I had no misses! I’m proud of that. My previous 1RM is 105, and the 95s today felt pretty easy, all things considered (so..much…volume…). My cleans have finally caught up with my jerks, technique-wise, and I’m much more confident in them. Now I just need to get my jerks to start getting better again! I can’t wait to go for a new 1RM c&j.
WOD for Time: 14:15
- Toes to Bar: Rx.
- Box Jump x2: 20″, Rx.
- Assisted Pistols: Level II.
Although this looks completely terrible, it was surprisingly fun. Rounds 10-6 were pretty easy, but 5-1 felt like hell, even though overall they barely accounted for any of the reps. I really wanted to do my pistols unassisted, but my legs were already so shaky from the c&js that after the box jumps I knew I was in trouble, and that definitely wasn’t going to happen. I PR’d my TTB in the first round though! I successfully kipped/strung together 6! Which is crazy! Most of the time my feet slammed into the bar, but there were definitely a few misses. I was really focusing on the kip instead of the contact, which maybe wasn’t the best idea. Whatev. Doing 2x the box jumps was cruel. I liked this one. Felt good.
Hay girl haaaaay another Wed/Thurs whambam week! I’m not feeling as sore the day after WODs anymore, which is really exciting. Slowly ramping up has been great, although I think today’s WOD just crushed the chances of getting in there tomorrow. We’ll see. I have a long evening of foam rolling and a hot epsom salt bath between now and then, so things still have the potential to change!
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3-3: 85-85-85-85-85. Previously my 3-3-3 PR was 90lbs and I strugggggled for that, and today the 5 sets of 3 were totally manageable at only slightly below that. I’m fighting off a cold so I’m feeling slightly run down, but I was still hitting pretty solid form on my last set so that’s a good sign.
Oh and hey look, a video! The final rep of my last set.
WOD for Cals+Reps: 120, Rx.
5 Rounds of:
- 1 Minute Row (cal): Rx.
- Rest 1 Minute
- 1 Minute AMRAP 5 Toes to Bar + 10 Air squats: Rx.
- Rest 1 Minute
- Score is row calories plus total TTB. Squats are not counted in the score.
This was miserableeeeee. I went out way too hard in the beginning, and after the second row my hamstring on my right leg locked up. This has happened in the past, but when I’m rowing regularly it doesn’t happen as frequently. I don’t think I’ve rowed in at least a month, so I almost went into this expecting it. I took round 3 easier and then slowly climbed back up. I could NOT stay on the pull-up bar to save my life today. I was barely getting 3 TTB strung together. I really need to work on my grip strength for hanging stuff, because I am strong enough in the body to handle more reps, but my hands just can’t take it and I’m constantly slightly scared of flying off the bar and breaking my life again. My splits went: 1: 17-10, 2: 16-8, 3: 12-10, 4: 13-10 5: 14-10. This was not in my wheelhouse at all, but my goal going into it was to hit 10 TTB per round and at least 13 cals per round, so I pretty much did that, minus the meltdown following the hamstring lockup in the rowing of round 2. This has been a tough week! I feel strong as all get out.
What is this tom-foolery!? Not one, but two mid-week WODs?! Who AM I. This semester is setting up to be a great one. None of my classes hold me back from being able to go to either the 930 or 430 WODs throughout the entire week, so I am free to WOD as much as I want. Now it’s just going to be a matter of balancing the workload on top as well. But right now, things are looking up! Woo!
- Clean and Jerk 5-5-5-5: 65-65-65-65. Man, sets of 5 are rough! On the last set I wasn’t sure if I was going to hit the jerk every time, so every rep I dropped from the top in order to save my shoulders. Whew. But I used the help I got yesterday on my snatch setup today as well, and was able to deliver way more explosive power from my hips than previously. Erika seemed impressed with my form, especially since I have missed the c&j strength days for about a month now.
WOD for Reps: 91
7 Rounds of:
- In 1 Minute, complete:
- 3 Chest-to-Bar Pull-Ups: Level II.
- Max Number of Burpees in Remaining Time: Rx.
- Rest 1 Minute.
- Score is total number of burpees.
This was a really neat and different WOD. I like burpees, for how terrible they are, and I really enjoyed this one. My burpees went 12-12-13-13-12-14-15. In the rounds of 13 and 14 burpees I was able to do the C2B’s unbroken, which gave me a time edge, but in the rounds of 12 and somehow in the round of 15 I did 2-1. I don’t know how I managed to squeeze in 15 in the final round, but I’m assuming it had to do with unloading everything left in the tank. Also, I did…phantom chest-to-bar pull-ups? I didn’t quite make contact every time, but I kipped much harder and higher than I would with regular pull-ups. I am not fully comfortable throwing my chest at the bar to make contact yet, but I was so close. I am counting them for me, since this was a huge improvement on regular pull-ups, and took much more work.
Now…let’s see if I can get myself in there tomorrow as well. 3 days in a row. That will be a feat of epic proportions. Maybe I’ll even get on a 3 days on, 1 day off schedule this semester. That would be wild. Oh, and today’s my Dad’s birthday! Happy birthday, Dad!
Today was great! Great great great. But no time to write!
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2: 95-95-95-100. First time I’ve hit 100 for a double. I’m getting more aggressive on my jerks finally! I can’t wait to test a new 1RM.
WOD for Time: 7:46
- 20 DB Snatch: 35lbs, Level II.
- 20 Hand Release Push-ups: Level II.
- 20 DB Swings: 35lbs, Level II.
- 15 Hand Release Push-ups: Level II.
- 20 1 Arm DB Clean and Jerk: 35lbs, Level II.
- 10 Hand Release Push-ups: Level II.
I am SO IMPRESSED with myself for this one! I stuck out 35lbs, AND I did all the HRPUs without doing them from my knees! This is a SERIOUSLY awesome workout. I definitely recommend this, and I am going to be revisiting this one in the future to see my improvements. I’m pretty sure I could have done more weight on the snatches and swings, but the c&js were super difficult on my left arm. I have exams tomorrow and Friday so I need to get back to studying! But this was great.
Rough day. Bad exam, still feeling under the weather, a dude backed into my car in the Whole Foods parking lot, dog came within an inch of being attacked at the dog park, spent an hour and 30+ minutes trying to go about 20 miles. Oof. So today was not my best day at the box. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. Repeat. Breathe. Haha.
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 90-95-95-90. Lots of misses in these. Form was janky at best. My legs are still shot from Monday.
WOD for Time: 8:15
4 Rounds of:
- 8 Dumbbell Snatch: 35lbs, Level II.
- 6 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I.
- 40 Double Unders: Rx.
I was impressed with how…not difficult the DB snatches were. They felt strong and didn’t really wear on me too badly. Next time I’m going to go for heavier. The ring dips were definitely the limiting factor. Double unders were a little off today, but my last set was unbroken. The first four went about 10-30 +/- a few. I like having pretty solid DUs. At least those felt decent. I can’t wait to sleep tonight. Supremely exhausted and just over it today.
Oh, I forgot to post this! From gymnastics this past weekend! Back handsprings with the best coach. Sorry it’s such low quality!
A week from tomorrow is Halloween! How is that even possible?!?! I need to figure out a costume…and moreso than that…something to actually do. Ugh. Planning is hard. Sleeping is also hard, because my dog is the worst. One of these days I’m going to fall asleep right when I lay down, and actually sleep through the night, and get up feeling great, and not want to kick my dog in the head for keeping me up all night/waking me up multiple times throughout the night. And that day will be a wonderful, amazing, glorious day. Anyway, I’m going to make some butternut squash soup and a sweet potato for dinner, knock out some homework, and take a bath. Today needs to be over!
- Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1: 105-105-105(f on jerk)-105-95. I am being hard on myself about this. I should be freaking dancing like mad for hitting 105×3, when I could only get it once two weeks ago. But my brain is dumb and is making me feel bad about not getting 5 full singles at 105. Which is almost an unreasonable request, and I know this. Eh. Oh well. Next time.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 6+8
15 Minute AMRAP of:
- 7 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I. Mehhh.
- 7 Dumbbell Squat Cleans: 25lbs, Level II. Perfect weight.
- Run 200m: Rx. Sooooo sloooowwwww.
I don’t know why this was so particularly awful. I guess it was how frequent the running was? But on the 3 or 4 round-ers with 400m runs I feel like I can move way faster than I was moving today. Holy crap. My lungs were working way overtime, and my legs were jelly from the squat cleans. Ring dips weren’t too bad, but I can still feel it in my shoulders and triceps already. And then at the end I tasted copper and felt like I was going to pass out. Very weird day. I don’t usually ever feel like that at the end, but I didn’t sleep well last night and didn’t have enough food today, so I’m assuming that combination screwed me. I guess going by that it’s pretty amazing I hit 105 on even a few c&js.