I was really buzzing on my coffee from this afternoon (…that I drank at noon today…zero caffeine tolerance, right here) so I was feeling pretty excited to get in there and kill some squats. Little did I know today was going to leave me completely wrecked. I’m going to need a wheelchair tomorrow! Most epic of leg days. Thankful for CrossFit, life coach Erika, and my Monday night squat buddy Sarah for helping start this week on the right foot.
- Back Squat 3-3-3-3-3: 135-135-135(f on last, but epic PR nonetheless)-115-115. So, the last time we did sets of 3, it was 3×3, and I BARELY made 115 for all three. So this was freaking crazy for me. I’m pretty happy with accomplishing that, even though it wasn’t for all 5 sets. That’s a lot of squats.
WOD for Time: 11:39. DFL again.
- DB Ground to Overhead (2 DBs): 25lbs, Level II.
- Burpees: Rx.
- Goblet Squat: 25lbs, Level II+.
Although I finished dead effing last again, I’m actually really proud of this. I definitely pushed myself incredibly hard, especially after my “defeat” on Friday, which wasn’t much of a defeat looking back on it. I was just in a stupid headspace. But today I did all of the g2o’s in a single swing motion, almost like a double dumbbell snatch/KB swing hybrid. Took a toll on my back, but my wrists are still bruised and sore from the squat cleans Friday so clean and jerking just wasn’t an option today. Dumbbell workouts have been my enemies lately, and I love that. Going to keep pushing myself super hard. Was definitely yelling…a lot…today, which is very uncommon for me. Needed that extra umpf. Woo happy Monday!
There is no greater mood enhancer than a killer workout. Today was a better Monday than most, so I guess that helped going into it. But I absolutely killed this workout. I mean like, murdered with conviction, killed. I was the first one done in my class, which never happens. I’m usually top-middle of the pack, but man. This was good. So good that I’m doubting myself and think I might have miscounted at some point. The squats weren’t my best form, but I was pushing some heavy weight for me, for sets of 5!
- Back Squat 5-5-5: 120-120-120. These were a little sloppy, but after this past weekend of eating like crap and indulging in drinkydrunk family time, I’m happy I managed this. I think that’s a 5RM PR even for a single set of 5, so I’m happy.
WOD for Time: 4:21
- 100 Russian Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Level II.
- 3 Box Jumps at the top of every minute, including the first minute: Level II.
I’m pretty sure I did 0:00-1:00: ~30, 1:00-2:00: ~25, 2:00-3:00: ~25, 3:00-4:00 ~17, and then finished off 4:00-4:21 the last 3 reps. I was hauling butt on the KB swings, really pushing it down with my lats at the top of the swing (which was just eye level, since they were Russian). I’m getting pretty confident with the 53lb KB, and think I’m going to attempt going overhead with it next time there is a small amount of them in a WOD (aka, not 100 reps). My legs are extremely shaky, and my back and shoulders are already tightened up. This is going to be a long week! Also, last exam before finals this Wednesday! Wooo! Happy Monday, y’all.
Um, what? November? What happened?! Where did October go?! Ahhh only 4 more weeks of classes before finals!! I am completely at a loss about how quickly this semester went!!!!! I’m so looking forward to winter and super cold weather and snow and sweaters and winter coats and knitted accessories and MORE SNOOOOOWWWW and Christmas and my birthday!! Okay okay. Back to actual workout stuff. I don’t think I’m going to be able to go to CrossFit on Mondays/Wednesdays next semester though, which is…pretty freaking terrible. I need to figure that out, because squats and clean and jerk days are my favorite days. Ugh. At least I’ll be able to start going on Thursdays for snatch days finally.
- Back Squats 5-5-5-5: 115-115-115-115. This is the first time in WEEKS that I’ve felt good about my squats across the board for all sets. I am SO glad I stuck here for one more week, and my confidence is back up about these. This was my second week at 115, and this week felt infinitelyyyy better than last week at 115, AND the previous week at 110. I feel a lot better going into next week, and the following weeks when we will drop down to sets of 3.
WOD for Reps: 130 Rx!
4 Rounds of:
- 1 Minute Row for Calories: 17-16-16-15
- 1 Minute Rest
- 1 Minute Burpees: 18-16-16-16
- 1 Minute Rest
This WOD is one of my least favorite. Either my hamstrings or glutes cramp up every single time.. We’ve done this WOD at least two other times, but both times that I could find were only 3 rounds for time. Looking back, I wrote about how awful it was. But I’m pretty damn happy with my performance this time. The other two times for 3 rounds I got 100, and 106. I was a little behind that on my third round this time, but I didn’t want to go balls-out right out of the gate and burn out. I still don’t understand how I used to row 18 cal minutes. I can’t even hit that once nowadays! I have gotten better with my pacing, so maybe that has something to do with it.
KILLLLLED it yesterday. I forgot to post last night, and now I’m procrastinating studying for an exam I have tomorrow. Perfect time to catch up!
- Back squat 5-5-5-5: 115-115-115-115. These were hard, but good. I really had to give it my all on the last two reps of each round. My coach caught me dipping too low on my squats, which was making it hard for me to get out of the hole. I really need to work on limiting my depth to right below parallel so I don’t sacrifice form for weight.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4+7 and 6
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Pullups: Level II.
- 15 Wallballs: 8lbs to 10′, Level II.
Rest 3 Minutes, Then..
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Burpees: Rx.
- 10 Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Russian Swing, Level II.
So proud of this. My first 4 rounds of pullups were ALL UNBROKEN, which is fucking AMAZING. Then the last 5 went 3-2. Man, so great. The wallballs were all easypeasy, so were the burpees, and the kbs were kbs. I was breathing SUPER HARD at the end of this, and couldn’t get off the floor for a good 5 minutes after. I really pushed myself and went super hard, and I’m so proud of myself. Felt freaking great.
Whoops I forgot to post this yesterday. Too tired/hungry/sore to write anything else. Early to bed tonight to prepare for singles of clean and jerks tomorrow!!!
- Back squat 5-5-5-5: 110-110-110-110. PR! Wooo! Had a few issues hitting the last 2 of each set with good form. My legs were already super shaky after the second set.
WOD for Time: 8:47
4 Rounds of:
- 5 Shoulder to Overhead: 65lbs, Level I. I’m finally getting WOD weights up! So glad.
- 7 Toes-to-Bar: Level II. Oof. Really need to work on these more.
- 5 Burpees: Rx. Easy easy.
- 7 Box Jumps: 24″, Level II-. This is the highest I think I’ve ever done in a WOD before. They were tough, but not too bad!
Big physical and mental health day for me today. Lots of “me” time, with crossfit in the morning, a yummy lunch, and a whole day of knitting and climbing and girltalk-ing with my close girlyfriend, Jen. We ended up staying at the climbing gym for close to three hours, with surprisingly little downtime! I feel good today. Maybe it was the three-day weekend, or the fact that I haven’t gotten any of my exams and projects back over the last few days, but damn, I feel like I’m getting back into a good headspace, finally. Today I feel like I am an athlete. I read a really super great post today about what it means to be a “real” crossfitter, and how the only thing keeping yourself from being one, is you saying it or not. (Best line of the article: “Nobody’s gonna come by with a PVC pipe one day and dub thee Legit. You are a real CrossFitter.”) And, while that might sound like a damn obvious statement, it’s so easy to look at the monsters in the box Rx’ing WODs at record speed and impossibly heavy weights and think “I’m nowhere near that good” or make excuses for how not-as-strong/fast/fit/able you are, but when it comes down to it, you’re doing the same thing they are: you’re working your ass off as hard as you possibly can, fighting to improve on your own sense of self and fitness; so why does that make them any more of a real crossfitter or athlete than yourself?! It’s so silly but too often I slip into that mindset. I am a crossfitter, I am an athlete, and I am a better/stronger/faster me than I was yesterday, and that’s all that matters.
- Backsquat 5-5-5-5: 105-105-105-105. Last time we did a 4×5 backsquat cycle, my final weight after a bunch of weeks was 105 across. This is pretty awesome. The second set felt really great and I probably should have pushed up to 110, but I’m happy I hit 105 across the board today. Only up from here!
WOD for Time: 8:07
5 Rounds of:
- 6 Deadlifts: 125lbs, Level II.
- 6 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I. Meh.
- 12 Box Jumps: 20″, Rx.
I liked this! I liked this a lot! I usually hate the 5 round-ers, but this one felt consistent and goooood. My IT bands are tight as hell from it, but climbing helped a great deal. Warm muscles are happy muscles. Ring dips are still the bane of my existence, but I’m finally getting good at shoving my chest forward to help get a swooping upward momentum out of the bottom. That’ll help me along the line somewhere, I’m sure. But they are still the wooooooorst. Deadlifts felt awesome and completely manageable, and the box jumps were just an annoyance more than anything. We had a HUGE class (35+ people) due to the holiday, so it was fun having such crazy energy going on during the class!
Holy crap, last day of September. Finally! It’s finally October! I love fall!
- Back Squats 10-10-10: 95-100-100. Stoked on this. Ran out of time AGAIN, but felt really good about them. Very strong all the way through, but that last set, whew. Perfect weight for today, but wish I would have had time to do one more set at 100.
WOD for Time: 14:07
- Hang Power Snatch: Level 11, 55lbs.
- Bastards: Rx. Aka lateral over-the-bar burpees.
- Pull-ups: Level II, unassisted with 15-12-9 reps.
This was awful! But so great! I really really felt like I got a solid workout today. I actually really like snatching, and this felt really good. It worked my forearms and legs and trunk and everything just feels great. Solid Level II. Slow, but solid.
- Back Squats 10-10-10: 85-95-95. I went to my first gymnastics/tumbling class yesterday, so I am really sore in really weird muscles today. I had wanted to hit 65% of my 1RM, which would have been 100lbs, but I wanted to get at least two sets at 95, and then I ran out of time. Holy crap, 10 reps is a lot of reps. I want to start incorporating this endurance lifting more.
WOD for Reps: 72 (16cals+8reps x 3)
3 Rounds of:
- 1 Minute Row for Calories: Rx.
- 1 Minute Rest
- 1 Minute Clean and Jerk: 65lbs, Level I.
- 1 Minute Rest
My elbow is also really sore from the gymnastics, so I didn’t want to push the c&js too much. I think this was the perfect weight for me. I didn’t sleep very well last night, so today was a #justshowup day. I wanted to be consistent throughout my rounds. Usually on these 1 minute rows, my rounds go something like 18-16-15 or 18-15-16, and the reps on the other movements tank pretty significantly as well. I focused on powerful, explosive legs with recovery time coming back. For all 3 rounds I got 16 cals. I’m happy with that, especially since I had a weird hiccup at the beginning of the final round, which cost me about 5 seconds. And I also got 8 c&js per round. That was an accomplishment. That’s 65% of my 1RM (man, that calculation is easy when your 1RM is 100lbs haha), so that was fairly heavy for me. They all felt good though, and I didn’t really have any wonky reps. Overall, this was definitely a win, given the circumstances.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 5 Backsquats: 85lbs. These felt pretty damn heavy.
- 5 Ring Dips: assisted. Eh. Better than a few days ago, but still so far from unassisted.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4
7 Minute AMRAP of:
- 8 Pullups: Level II.
- 12 Box Jumps: 20″, Level II.
First set of 5 unbroken pullups, lots of sets of 4, hardly any singles. Woo. Then I busted out a couple sets of 3 butterfly kipped pullups later in the day. Good day.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 3 Overhead Squats: 55lbs.
- 3 Ring Dips: assisted. We had the option to do either ring dips or pull-ups (if we couldn’t do muscle ups) and I feel like we haven’t done a lot of ring dips lately. Felt really tight in the chest on these, but overall felt strong.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 3+4
AMRAP 10 Minutes of:
- 10 Clean and Jerks: 55lbs, Level II.
- 10 Lunges: 55lbs, Level II.
- 10 Back Squats: 55lbs, Level II.
- 4 Burpee penalty every time the bar touches the ground (aside from c&j touch-and-go): 8 burpees total.
It was amazing how much I wanted to throw the bar on the ground and rest through this. I was not expecting that in just 10 minutes. This was fairly heavy for me, and I’m super proud I stuck with this weight the whole way through. The lunges were by far the limiting factor. I did back rack lunges, which we haven’t done in a really long time. My butt is so sore.