I was SO EXCITED to see that the first workout of the 2014 Open was something that I could actually do as prescribed!! Last year, the day before the 2013 Open started, I broke and dislocated my elbow and needed to get staples in the back of my head after a freak accident injury. I was signed up for the Open, and was completely heartbroken when this happened. Ever since then, every single workout has been in anticipation of these next 5 weeks. I committed myself to getting back on my feet and working hard as hell in order to heal and rebuild myself after that. It’s been a long and bumpy road, but this year I AM ALL IN. I am stronger, faster, better now than I was before breaking my elbow last year. I’m taking back those lost weeks, and going balls out for this Open season. I’m so proud of where I am now, and I am so grateful to be part of such an enthusiastic, exciting, supportive box and community. My intentions are not to make it to Regionals, or even be in any percentage, place-wise. I just want to do every workout, give them my all, and push myself harder than I would on a regular WOD. And if I hit some new PRs along the way, then I’ll take those too!
Workout 14.1: 176
WOMEN – includes Masters Women up to 54 years old
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 10 minutes of:
- 30 double-unders
- 55-lb. power snatches, 15 reps
I got 3 rounds plus 41 reps. I was only 4 reps away from 4 total rounds! My goal going into this was just to get to 3 rounds, so I am proud that I got this far! My thumbs are KILLING me from hook-gripping the bar for 56 snatches. I went for chalk between rounds, and was having a rough double-under day. I think by taping my thumbs and not having a shitty double-under day I could easily make 4 rounds, and as of right now, I’m planning to redo this on Sunday to try to hit that. I’ll have to see how I’m feeling by then, because…56 snatches at 55lbs is a lot of volume at a weight that is still like…70% of my 1RM haha. Hopefully I’ll feel up to it! Now I at least want 180 so badly! Happy weekend, happy Hunger Ga–I mean CrossFit Open! May the WODs be ever in your favor!
This week! This week is crazy! No time to update. This is going to be short and sweet. CrossFit on Wednesday (yesterday) and a little bit of supplementary strength work at my university’s gym today, sort of laundry list-like. Trying gain some extra strength just in time for the Open!
- Snatch 3-3-3-3-3: 60-60-60-60-60. Worked on powerful legs and fast turn-over at the top. Felt much better this week, and I think I even did two extra sets of 60lbs, but I’m not sure.
WOD for Time: 5:18
- 30 Clean and Jerks: 75lbs.
Rx for “Grace” is 95lbs for women. The fact that to make this Rx for me I’d only have to put a 10lb plate on each side? Awesome. I dropped almost every rep from the top, which I think I have decided was a stupid decision. I didn’t want to overly strain myself, but at the same time, I wasted a LOT of time. But I really felt awesome, because I didn’t miss any reps, and didn’t even have any wonky reps. They were all clean and solid. They wanted us to stay around 5 minutes, and I had planned to be closer to 4:30, but I was already off of that pace by the first 10. That was pretty heavy weight for me for that kind of volume, so I’m pleased overall. Oh gosh, I just realized that I did this forever ago at 60lbs and it took me 4 minutes. I’ll take this as a success and improvement.
- Alllllll of the foam rolling and stretching to warm up.
- Back squats 5-5-5 (@80% of 1RM): 115-115-115. This was the strength programmed for today at PCF. This was more like 75% of my 1RM, but my traps are so sore from all of yesterday’s overhead work that resting the heavy bar on them was downright painful!
- Single-arm dumbbell snatch 5-5-5-5: 25-25-30-30. Too easy. Should have done more weight.
- GHDs: 50. Didn’t want to wreck myself the first time doing these in a while.
- Deadlifts 3-3-3-3: 135-135-135. I have such a hard time deadlifting with the fat powerlifting bars. My grip goes so quickly.
- And…that’s it? Wow. It felt like I did a lot more. Oh well. At least I got some good stretching, squats, and GHDs in.
I didn’t have time to write about this yesterday! This week is quite hectic, so I feel like I’ve been stretched pretty thin. I had a great workout yesterday though! I was originally thinking about going into the school’s gym early again, but then I saw the WOD scheduled for the afternoon and knew that it would probably be too much. OH GOSH and the CrossFit Open starts this Thursday night!!! I need to write about that tomorrow or Thursday!!!!!!!
- Front Squat 5-5-3-3-1-1: 75-75-95-100-110(PR!)-115(PR!!!). So the coach said we probably weren’t going to hit any PRs after doing the volume leading up to the single reps, but it’s been so long since I did front squat singles I knew that I would be able to best my previous 1RM, and I did, by 10lbs! Woopwoop! And that was even after a bunch of pretty heavy reps, so I’m sure I could front squat much more for a heavy single attempt. These felt so good! Form was a little sketchy, as can be seen in the video here. I shoot my butt up first and then compensate after rising out of the bottom. It’s gotten much better from how it used to be, but I still need to work on it, especially as I go heavier.
WOD for Time + Reps: 10:29 + 42 Burpees
5 Rounds of:
- 7 Thrusters: 65lbs, Level II-.
- 7 Pull-Ups: Level II.
- 7 Burpees: Rx.
Rest 1 minute, then:
- Max burpees in 3 minutes: 42, Rx.
Such a tough and weird WOD! I liked this kind of “buy-out” style, although a little more rest would have been nice! I recorded myself doing burpees for the first time ever, and I realized that my burpee technique is…special, at best. When I jump my feet up, I shoot my right leg out to the side so I land a little lower. I need to work on landing in more of a centered squat stance for sure. I’m not sure I’m willing to publicly shame myself with a video of my goofyass burpees yet. My pull-ups and thrusters were ON POINT (en pointe?) though. Woo!
!!!! Right?!?!?! Saturday WOD?!!? What?! What is even going on!? Well, as I said, I tweaked my shoulder on Wednesday. I forced myself to take it easy on Thursday and Friday, because it was still a little sore on Friday morning. But I woke up this morning and felt great, so I decided to get into a rare Saturday WOD! They usually do extremely long “hero WODs” on Saturdays, but today was Fight Gone Bad, which I haven’t done in almost a year and a half!
WOD for Reps: 80-81-76 = 237.
“Fight Gone Bad”
3 Rounds of:
1 Minute 10ft Wallball: 8lbs, Level II.
1 Minute Sumo Deadlift High-Pull: 45lbs, Level II.
1 Minute Box Jump: 20″, Rx, which is also the men’s Rx height.
1 Minute Push-Press: 45lbs, Level II.
1 Minute Row for Calories: Rx.
1 Minute Rest
Rx for the barbell movements is 55lbs, and the wallballs are 14lbs to 10ft. Both of which I’m more than capable of, but I decided that in order to save my shoulder, in case it was still a little weird, I’d drop down a bit on both. Wallballs dropped off hard in the last round. So last time I did FGB, I did 14lbs wallballs to 8ft (which I think is easier than 8lbs to 10ft), 55lbs SDHP, 45lbs PP (was having rotator cuff issues then, too!), and only 12″ box jumps. I remember I was getting close to 35 box jumps a round, so that made my score insane. It was also 5 rounds, which makes me want to barf thinking about haha. All things considered, I’m really happy with how I did today. It felt great. I can’t wait to do this without worrying about my shoulder and Rx’ing it like I know I can!!! Time to enjoy the rest of this beautiful day!
Gah. Strained my right shoulder (rotator cuff possibly…didn’t mess with it enough to find out) during the warm-up. I find myself just going through the motions in the warm-ups when I’m sore or tired, and sometimes don’t put enough effort into activating the accessory muscles surrounding my joints. I’m guessing that’s what happened here. We were drilling for our snatches, and something just clicked wrong. I took it pretty easy for the rest of the workout, but at least I did it.
- Snatch 5-3-3-2-2-1-1: 35-55-55-65-55-55-55. I was really hoping to hit a PR today, but that just wasn’t going to happen with my shoulder. Backed off and just focused on punching through and droppin’ low at the top of the pull.
WOD for Time: 9:26
5 Rounds of:
- 20 Double-Unders: Level II.
- 3 Power Cleans: 65lbs, Level I.
- 3 Hang Squat Cleans: 65lbs, Level I.
- 15 Sit-Ups: Rx.
- 1 15′ Rope Climb: Rx.
If it wasn’t for my shoulder I would have been able to do the Level II weight of 80lbs pretty easy I think, but I was just not feeling super confident about cycling that much weight with my shoulder. I cycled all 6 cleans in every round though, which was the deal I made with myself for being smart and doing lighter weight. The double-unders were cake, as were the sit-ups, and I’m loving rope climbs again. Yayayayay. It felt like I freaking flew through this with almost zero rest. My shoulder isn’t feeling bad now, so as of now I’m still planning on going tomorrow morning. I’m going to stretch a little more and see how it feels when I wake up, but here’s to hoping! Squats, push-press, ttb, and lunges. SO not in my wheelhouse, but looking forward to it because of that!
I don’t know what has gotten into me lately!!! I’ve been sleeping super well, waking up feeling rested, and feeling super ready to start my days. Today, I woke up before my alarm. BEFORE MY ALARM. WHAT. Well, I kind of cheated because I wake up to say bye to Tyler in the mornings when he leaves for work, so I was already a little bit awake. BUT STILL most mornings I just pass the hell back out and sleep until my 4 alarms go off (8:01, 8:31, 9:01, 9:21) and I hit snooze on my last one at least three or four times until 9:35 when I have 10 minutes to jump up, walk the pups, and run out the door (that is my life, I’m not even kidding. Every. Single. Day. And it’s the WORST.) Moreso than not lately, I’ve been falling asleep super quickly, sleeping really soundly through the night, and waking up feeling good. How good? I’ll tell you.
I’ve been sleeping so well and feeling so good that I woke up and decided to go to the gym on my campus to pull a 2-a-day, and work on some weightlifting before class. And then I went to crossfit this afternoon at 430!
- Clean and Jerk 65% 3-3-3: 70lbs
- Snatch High-Pulls 100% 3-3-3: 70lbs
- Strict Press 75% 5-5-5: 45lbs
- Front Squat 85% 3-3: 90lbs
These were mostly technique and volume work, but they all felt really great. It was a good morning wake-up. Then I went to classes, and then crossfit!
- Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5: 65-65-65-65-65. I kept these light. After the heavy front squats this morning, and knowing that I had a million burpees and thrusters coming…I definitely took these easy.
WOD for Time: 13:12
- 40 Burpees: Level II.
- 40 Thrusters: 55lbs, Level II.
- 40 Pull-Ups: Level II.
I AM SO PROUD OF THIS. SO PROUD. I was the ONLY female in the 430 class who stuck with 55lbs, which was also Rx weight (reps were 50 down the line though), and there were some of the super beasty women there! I was really intimidated and almost dropped, but I decided to stick it out and just take my time. But I killed it! I was one of the first on the bar after the burpees, and then went 10-10-10-5-5 on the thrusters!!!!! I’m so proud of myself!!!! Making gains all over the place. Then I had to wait a good bit until I had my arms back for the pull-ups, because I really didn’t want to have a repeat of last year and go flying off again. I did really well on the pull-ups, doing 7 sets of 4, 3 sets of 3, then 2-1. Felt amazing, and I’m so proud of myself for this one.
First day wearing my new weightlifting shoes!!!! They are so great. I have so much more power coming out of the pull now, and it made me realize how sloooooowwww I am at the top. It’s definitely my new sticking point for training my oly lifts. I also feel much more comfortable in the bottom of my squats. I see them being an excellent addition to my workouts in the future.
- Snatch 3-3-3-3: 60-60-65-60-60. I realized I am not moving nearly as fast as I should be from the triple extension to dropping under to catch the bar. It’s barely explosive at all, and it needs to be super explosive. Ehhh, like I said, something to work on.
WOD for Time: 11:42
- 5 x 15ft Rope Climbs: Level II.
- Row 1000m: Rx.
- 50 Burpees: Rx.
- Complete in any order, but you must finish all of one exercise before moving on to the next.
This was interesting! I completed it in the order above. Rx for rope climbs was 10 total, but I just didn’t see that happening in one sitting. If I could break them up, then maybe, but I burn out on them so quickly. I’ve been a little off with them too lately, so I decided to stick with Level II and just do 5, and they felt pretty good. I finished them in about 2.5 minutes. I’m really proud of myself for the rowing. Level II was only 750m, and I wanted so badly to just do that. But I’m awful at rowing and hate it so much, but working on weakness is so important, or else you’ll never get better. So I crossed over 750 and blew all the way to 1000m. I think I rowed it in 4:30, which isn’t a speed record or anything, but I freaking did it. And the burpees were just burpees. Just had to chip away. I did 30-10-10, but they were also sloooow.
We’re supposed to get totally dumped with snow over the next 24 hours…crossing my fingers so hard. I love snow!!!! The one class I have tomorrow has already been cancelled even though they haven’t made the call university-wide yet, so yayayay! Hopefully I’ll still be able to make it to crossfit!
Today ended up being so busy that I didn’t have time to eat before crossfit. It was..rough. But I not only got through it–I killllled it! Today was “1/2 Cindy,” with the full “Cindy” being a 20 minute AMRAP. I’ve only ever done both 1/2 and full Cindy way back when I was first starting, and I did the pull-ups with heavy assistance, and the push-ups on my knees. I crushed my previous scores today, and did it as prescribed!! So happy. I’m getting better about remembering to at least video my strength sets, but I need to start uploading the actual full videos, instead of taking clips from instagram haha. Baby steps! Also, the video cut off the lunges, which is probably for the best, because they were so ugly on each rep set!
- 5 sets of 2x (1 Snatch + 2 Overhead Squats + 1 Back Rack Right Leg Lunge + 1 Back Rack Left Leg Lunge): 55-55-60-60-60. Omg. These were tough, but so awesome. I really like barbell complexes like this. I definitely limited myself a bit by starting at 55lbs. I’ll start heavier initially next time, because I think I could have done 2×60 and 3×65 if I had planned better. I’m getting more confident in the overhead position again, finally.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 7+12, Rx.
AMRAP for 10 Minutes of:
- 5 Pull-Ups: Rx.
- 10 Push-Ups: Rx.
- 15 Air Squats: Rx.
Limiting factor was absolutely push-ups. I burned out on them very quickly, and the last half were kind of wormy at times. But once I fatigued, I broke them into 5+3+2, and that helped a lot. But the pull-ups!!! The pull-ups!!!!!!!! I did so many sets of 5 unbroken!!!!!!! This is such a big deal. I think I only broke up 3 out of the 8 sets I did. I had so much trouble driving my car after this haha. So dead already.
So a few nights ago I finally ordered my first pair of weightlifting shoes!!!! I am so beyond excited. For the past few weeks I’ve been spending my nights reading reviews and looking at pictures of the couple pairs I’ve been considering, and it’s been causing me to lose a significant amount of sleep. Ha. It sounds totally ridiculous, but it’s true! I didn’t want a purely powerlifting shoe; I was looking for something that I could also do WODs with heavy lifting in, so something with mild mid-foot flexibility, while still having the raised, sturdy heel and good support on the outer edge of my foot. I landed on the new inov8 FastLift 315s. And the colors of them are excellent. They should get here Tuesday, and I am so excited to play with them!!! If I dislike them, I’ll move to the red AdiPower by Adidas, but I’m hoping that these will continue my love affair with inov8s!
Also, today at noon I went to a free class with a couple friends who are interested in starting crossfit at some point. I really hope they end up joining, as it would be nice to have more friends! I have so many people who tell me they’re interested in trying it or want to start, but no one follows through. I wish I knew more people who were interested in this kind of lifestyle. Anyway! It was a good quick burner, especially after yesterday’s WOD. My shoulders and legs are still completely dead!
WOD for Reps: 310
3 Rounds of:
- 1 Minute American Kettlebell Swings, 35lbs.
- 1 Minute Ring Rows
- 1 Minute Sit-Ups
- 1 Minute Burpees
- 1 Minute Rest
103-103-104. Sore. Sore sore sore. I am considering going to a pole dancing class this afternoon…but….I’ll have to see how I’m feeling after stretching a little more!
I was having a stressful day after dealing with nutso dogs at the dog park, so I was feeling a little anxious going into this today. But it ended up being great, and I’m in a much better mood now! The more I workout, the more I realize that there’s nothing a little bit of lifting can’t fix. But now I need to foam roll my calves and take a nice long epsom salt bath. Ahhh, the weekend. I’m going to do a free class with a couple friends tomorrow, and I’m really looking forward to it!!!!
- Back squat 15-15, sets must be completed in under 45 seconds: 85-85. A couple weeks ago I did these at 85, but it was a struggle just to finish them in a minute! This week, I finished them in 37 and 39 seconds. Next week I’m planning on adding 10lbs to these, because I definitely crushed them today. And video!
WOD for Time: 13:16
2 Rounds of:
- 10 Assisted Ring Dips: Level I, Ugh. Ring dips are the worst.
- 10 Clean and Jerks: 80lbs, Level II. Perfect weight. Super challenging, but still do-able.
- 100 Double-Unders: Rx. My forearms and calves were smoked from these!
Man, the 2 rounds definitely masked this one. I felt like this wouldn’t be too bad, but it was rough. My entire body is dead! I’m glad I did the weight I did, and that I chose to do the full amount of double-unders. Level II was 75 du’s, which really isn’t that much less than 100, so I decided to just kill the prescribed reps. Woo!