I was really buzzing on my coffee from this afternoon (…that I drank at noon today…zero caffeine tolerance, right here) so I was feeling pretty excited to get in there and kill some squats. Little did I know today was going to leave me completely wrecked. I’m going to need a wheelchair tomorrow! Most epic of leg days. Thankful for CrossFit, life coach Erika, and my Monday night squat buddy Sarah for helping start this week on the right foot.
- Back Squat 3-3-3-3-3: 135-135-135(f on last, but epic PR nonetheless)-115-115. So, the last time we did sets of 3, it was 3×3, and I BARELY made 115 for all three. So this was freaking crazy for me. I’m pretty happy with accomplishing that, even though it wasn’t for all 5 sets. That’s a lot of squats.
WOD for Time: 11:39. DFL again.
- DB Ground to Overhead (2 DBs): 25lbs, Level II.
- Burpees: Rx.
- Goblet Squat: 25lbs, Level II+.
Although I finished dead effing last again, I’m actually really proud of this. I definitely pushed myself incredibly hard, especially after my “defeat” on Friday, which wasn’t much of a defeat looking back on it. I was just in a stupid headspace. But today I did all of the g2o’s in a single swing motion, almost like a double dumbbell snatch/KB swing hybrid. Took a toll on my back, but my wrists are still bruised and sore from the squat cleans Friday so clean and jerking just wasn’t an option today. Dumbbell workouts have been my enemies lately, and I love that. Going to keep pushing myself super hard. Was definitely yelling…a lot…today, which is very uncommon for me. Needed that extra umpf. Woo happy Monday!
Whoops, forgot to post this Friday! I’ve been swamped with work this week, and woke up sick as a dog on Tuesday morning, so I didn’t end up going to crossfit on Wednesday. But holy hell, did today ever make up for that. I’m going to be feeling this all weekend.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Power Clean/1 Hang Squat Clean/1 Front Squat: 75lbs. Man, this felt super heavy today.
- 2 Handstand Push-ups: to 2 abmats. 2 for the first 6 rounds, 1 for rounds 7-10.
WOD for Time: 13:23. DFL.
5 Rounds of:
- 7 Shoulder-to-Overhead: 65, Level II-. Started at 75 which was Level II, and I had to pull off the 5s from each side after the first two rounds. My shoulders were smoked.
- 7 Bastards: Rx. Aka lateral over-the-bar burpees. These were the easiest part.
- 7 Dumbbell Hang Squat Cleans: 25lbs, Level II. I’m so proud of myself for sticking it out with these. They were AWFUL.
This was soul crushing. I underestimated how dead my shoulders would be after the HSPUs, and definitely went too heavy on the s2o. There weren’t any 20lb dumbbells to grab so I went for 25, and honestly, I thought my legs and wrists were going to fall off. It was the worst. I finished last in the class for the FIRST TIME EVER and was in tears when I collapsed to the ground at the end.
There is no greater mood enhancer than a killer workout. Today was a better Monday than most, so I guess that helped going into it. But I absolutely killed this workout. I mean like, murdered with conviction, killed. I was the first one done in my class, which never happens. I’m usually top-middle of the pack, but man. This was good. So good that I’m doubting myself and think I might have miscounted at some point. The squats weren’t my best form, but I was pushing some heavy weight for me, for sets of 5!
- Back Squat 5-5-5: 120-120-120. These were a little sloppy, but after this past weekend of eating like crap and indulging in drinkydrunk family time, I’m happy I managed this. I think that’s a 5RM PR even for a single set of 5, so I’m happy.
WOD for Time: 4:21
- 100 Russian Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Level II.
- 3 Box Jumps at the top of every minute, including the first minute: Level II.
I’m pretty sure I did 0:00-1:00: ~30, 1:00-2:00: ~25, 2:00-3:00: ~25, 3:00-4:00 ~17, and then finished off 4:00-4:21 the last 3 reps. I was hauling butt on the KB swings, really pushing it down with my lats at the top of the swing (which was just eye level, since they were Russian). I’m getting pretty confident with the 53lb KB, and think I’m going to attempt going overhead with it next time there is a small amount of them in a WOD (aka, not 100 reps). My legs are extremely shaky, and my back and shoulders are already tightened up. This is going to be a long week! Also, last exam before finals this Wednesday! Wooo! Happy Monday, y’all.
E2MOT2M for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Power Clean/Lunge R/Lunge L/Jerk (P Curtis): 75lbs. Easy. Probably should have done 85lbs since it was only 5 reps!
- 4 Ring Dips: assisted, but I finally feel like I’m making progress on them! All 4 of each round felt strong, and I used less assistance than usual.
WOD for Time:
- Pull-ups, Level II. Started doing chest-to-bar pull-ups, which was Rx, and got through the first round, but was wayyyy to tired in the next. Very happy.
- Overhead Squats 55lbs, Level I. I couldn’t get my grip/positioning right on the first round, but did the 12 and 9 rounds unbroken. Definitely limited by the shoulders, not the legs!
- Over the Box Jumps: 20″, Rx. Easy. Jumped on and then over. I chugged through easily, with no rest. I actually really liked these. These were a nice change from normal box jumps.
Today was great! Great great great. But no time to write!
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2: 95-95-95-100. First time I’ve hit 100 for a double. I’m getting more aggressive on my jerks finally! I can’t wait to test a new 1RM.
WOD for Time: 7:46
- 20 DB Snatch: 35lbs, Level II.
- 20 Hand Release Push-ups: Level II.
- 20 DB Swings: 35lbs, Level II.
- 15 Hand Release Push-ups: Level II.
- 20 1 Arm DB Clean and Jerk: 35lbs, Level II.
- 10 Hand Release Push-ups: Level II.
I am SO IMPRESSED with myself for this one! I stuck out 35lbs, AND I did all the HRPUs without doing them from my knees! This is a SERIOUSLY awesome workout. I definitely recommend this, and I am going to be revisiting this one in the future to see my improvements. I’m pretty sure I could have done more weight on the snatches and swings, but the c&js were super difficult on my left arm. I have exams tomorrow and Friday so I need to get back to studying! But this was great.
Um, what? November? What happened?! Where did October go?! Ahhh only 4 more weeks of classes before finals!! I am completely at a loss about how quickly this semester went!!!!! I’m so looking forward to winter and super cold weather and snow and sweaters and winter coats and knitted accessories and MORE SNOOOOOWWWW and Christmas and my birthday!! Okay okay. Back to actual workout stuff. I don’t think I’m going to be able to go to CrossFit on Mondays/Wednesdays next semester though, which is…pretty freaking terrible. I need to figure that out, because squats and clean and jerk days are my favorite days. Ugh. At least I’ll be able to start going on Thursdays for snatch days finally.
- Back Squats 5-5-5-5: 115-115-115-115. This is the first time in WEEKS that I’ve felt good about my squats across the board for all sets. I am SO glad I stuck here for one more week, and my confidence is back up about these. This was my second week at 115, and this week felt infinitelyyyy better than last week at 115, AND the previous week at 110. I feel a lot better going into next week, and the following weeks when we will drop down to sets of 3.
WOD for Reps: 130 Rx!
4 Rounds of:
- 1 Minute Row for Calories: 17-16-16-15
- 1 Minute Rest
- 1 Minute Burpees: 18-16-16-16
- 1 Minute Rest
This WOD is one of my least favorite. Either my hamstrings or glutes cramp up every single time.. We’ve done this WOD at least two other times, but both times that I could find were only 3 rounds for time. Looking back, I wrote about how awful it was. But I’m pretty damn happy with my performance this time. The other two times for 3 rounds I got 100, and 106. I was a little behind that on my third round this time, but I didn’t want to go balls-out right out of the gate and burn out. I still don’t understand how I used to row 18 cal minutes. I can’t even hit that once nowadays! I have gotten better with my pacing, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I had meetings in the morning before class so I couldn’t go to my normal 9:30am class. Yesterday made me realize just how much I neeeeeeed to go in the mornings on Fridays, because I really struggled to get in there for the 4:30. But I did it!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Thrusters: 70lbs. Really happy with this. I pushed myself pretty hard with these, and I’m stoked I hit all 10 rounds. I had it set up so I could strip down to 65 if I needed to, but I stuck it out!
- 5 Toes-to-Bar: Pretty much zero stringing together of these. The first 5 rounds I stayed on the bar and just adjusted my grip/swing between each one, but after that my sets deteriorated pretty quickly. I just didn’t have the coordination necessary ha.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4+2.5
7 Minute AMRAP of:
- 3 Renegade Row Man-Makers: 20lb DBs, Level II. WORST.
- 10 Dumbbell Step-Ups: 20″, Rx.
- RRMM starts standing with DBs at sides. Go down to a plank, push-up, row right, push-up, row left, bring your feet up to your hands, squat clean thruster.
As much as I haaaaate RRMMs, this WOD was really great. Quick and dirty. Last time we did RRMMs back in June, I used 15s, could barely do the rows, and did the pushups from my knees. These were all full push-ups (a little snakey though, if I’m bein’ honest) and at 20lbs! I had 15s sitting in front of me in case I had to drop, but I didn’t! Another instance of sticking it through to the end. I was very surprised how taxing/challenging the step-ups were!! My quads were definitely on fire at the end. Also, one of the phenomenal beast women at the box I was working out next to told me she was glad we were next to each other because it made her keep up her pace. Ultimate blushing! Talk about an ego boost, because I was trying to keep up with her the whole time! I wanted that last RRMM rep so bad, but I couldn’t get to the top of the thruster before time ran out. Wompwomp!