Rough day. Bad exam, still feeling under the weather, a dude backed into my car in the Whole Foods parking lot, dog came within an inch of being attacked at the dog park, spent an hour and 30+ minutes trying to go about 20 miles. Oof. So today was not my best day at the box. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. 1 in every 3 workouts is going to be an off one. Repeat. Breathe. Haha.
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 90-95-95-90. Lots of misses in these. Form was janky at best. My legs are still shot from Monday.
WOD for Time: 8:15
4 Rounds of:
- 8 Dumbbell Snatch: 35lbs, Level II.
- 6 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I.
- 40 Double Unders: Rx.
I was impressed with how…not difficult the DB snatches were. They felt strong and didn’t really wear on me too badly. Next time I’m going to go for heavier. The ring dips were definitely the limiting factor. Double unders were a little off today, but my last set was unbroken. The first four went about 10-30 +/- a few. I like having pretty solid DUs. At least those felt decent. I can’t wait to sleep tonight. Supremely exhausted and just over it today.
Oh, I forgot to post this! From gymnastics this past weekend! Back handsprings with the best coach. Sorry it’s such low quality!
KILLLLLED it yesterday. I forgot to post last night, and now I’m procrastinating studying for an exam I have tomorrow. Perfect time to catch up!
- Back squat 5-5-5-5: 115-115-115-115. These were hard, but good. I really had to give it my all on the last two reps of each round. My coach caught me dipping too low on my squats, which was making it hard for me to get out of the hole. I really need to work on limiting my depth to right below parallel so I don’t sacrifice form for weight.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 4+7 and 6
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Pullups: Level II.
- 15 Wallballs: 8lbs to 10′, Level II.
Rest 3 Minutes, Then..
5 Minute AMRAP of:
- 5 Burpees: Rx.
- 10 Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Russian Swing, Level II.
So proud of this. My first 4 rounds of pullups were ALL UNBROKEN, which is fucking AMAZING. Then the last 5 went 3-2. Man, so great. The wallballs were all easypeasy, so were the burpees, and the kbs were kbs. I was breathing SUPER HARD at the end of this, and couldn’t get off the floor for a good 5 minutes after. I really pushed myself and went super hard, and I’m so proud of myself. Felt freaking great.
A week from tomorrow is Halloween! How is that even possible?!?! I need to figure out a costume…and moreso than that…something to actually do. Ugh. Planning is hard. Sleeping is also hard, because my dog is the worst. One of these days I’m going to fall asleep right when I lay down, and actually sleep through the night, and get up feeling great, and not want to kick my dog in the head for keeping me up all night/waking me up multiple times throughout the night. And that day will be a wonderful, amazing, glorious day. Anyway, I’m going to make some butternut squash soup and a sweet potato for dinner, knock out some homework, and take a bath. Today needs to be over!
- Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1: 105-105-105(f on jerk)-105-95. I am being hard on myself about this. I should be freaking dancing like mad for hitting 105×3, when I could only get it once two weeks ago. But my brain is dumb and is making me feel bad about not getting 5 full singles at 105. Which is almost an unreasonable request, and I know this. Eh. Oh well. Next time.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 6+8
15 Minute AMRAP of:
- 7 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I. Mehhh.
- 7 Dumbbell Squat Cleans: 25lbs, Level II. Perfect weight.
- Run 200m: Rx. Sooooo sloooowwwww.
I don’t know why this was so particularly awful. I guess it was how frequent the running was? But on the 3 or 4 round-ers with 400m runs I feel like I can move way faster than I was moving today. Holy crap. My lungs were working way overtime, and my legs were jelly from the squat cleans. Ring dips weren’t too bad, but I can still feel it in my shoulders and triceps already. And then at the end I tasted copper and felt like I was going to pass out. Very weird day. I don’t usually ever feel like that at the end, but I didn’t sleep well last night and didn’t have enough food today, so I’m assuming that combination screwed me. I guess going by that it’s pretty amazing I hit 105 on even a few c&js.
Whoops I forgot to post this yesterday. Too tired/hungry/sore to write anything else. Early to bed tonight to prepare for singles of clean and jerks tomorrow!!!
- Back squat 5-5-5-5: 110-110-110-110. PR! Wooo! Had a few issues hitting the last 2 of each set with good form. My legs were already super shaky after the second set.
WOD for Time: 8:47
4 Rounds of:
- 5 Shoulder to Overhead: 65lbs, Level I. I’m finally getting WOD weights up! So glad.
- 7 Toes-to-Bar: Level II. Oof. Really need to work on these more.
- 5 Burpees: Rx. Easy easy.
- 7 Box Jumps: 24″, Level II-. This is the highest I think I’ve ever done in a WOD before. They were tough, but not too bad!
Today has been LOOOOOOOOONG. I woke up at 4:57am to take my dog 3.5hrs south of us to Chesapeake, VA to have her pre-op consult and surgery for her detached retina. Turns out, her retina has been detached for much longer than they suspected. She ended up not being a candidate for the surgery after all. I really appreciate the fact that the vet turned her down. It would have been so easy for him to demand they do the surgery, just to get the money from our pockets. We would never have known otherwise. I did learn that there is a great chance of this happening in her right eye as well, so I need to keep a very close watch over her vision and make sure nothing irregular comes up. Anyway, ate some Denny’s, loaded up on coffee, and headed home (it took 4hrs30mins to get back…ugh). Overall, 450+ miles in one day, sitting forrreevveeerrr. I was ready to work out, even though I was still pretty exhausted.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 2 Thrusters: 65lbs. Felt…good? Strong? Very weird feeling. I expected them to be horrid. Haven’t done thrusters in a while, so this was really nice.
- 5 Toes-to-Bar: Rx. Eh. Worked on technique and making firm contact with the bar every rep. Still not to more than 2-3 strung together. I can’t flick my legs fast enough!
WOD for Time: 10:37
3 Rounds of:
- 10 Hang Squat Cleans: 70lbs, Level II-. Perfect weight for me. Just enough without being crushing. Still had to yell at the last couple of each round to get up. My legs are toast.
- 15 Burpees: Rx.
- 50 Double-Unders: Rx.
Perfect! Perfect WOD, perfect scaling, perfect everything. So great. Now I’m super crazy energized, had an awesome dinner of Atlantic Salmon, mashed sweet potatoes, and guac. Oh, and some spiced apple cider because fuck yeah fall. Time to round out the night with some climbing. I’m probably going to fail a LOT because..well..leg day Homework forever this weekend. I’m so glad I went to crossfit today. Best.
Holy smokes!!! What a WOD! I love these chipper WODs, where once you do the whole set of reps for one movement, you’re finished with it. I also really liked the idea of increasing weights throughout the WOD. This was just all around really cool. I greatly enjoyed it.
- Clean and Jerk 2-2-2-2: 95-95-95-95(-95 bonus!). These felt pretty damn great. The cleans were surprisingly easy, which is usually what I feel the most limited by. I am feeling pretty confident with my c&js lately.
WOD for Time: 14:56
- 30 Overhead Lunges: 35lbs, Rx.
- 20 Pull-ups: Level II.
- 10 Squat Snatches: 35lbs, Level I-ish (Level II weight was 55lbs..that just wasn’t happening.)
- Run 600m: Rx.
- 10 Jerks: 75lbs, Level II.
- 20 Hang Power Cleans: 75lbs, Level II.
- 30 Wallballs: 8lbs to 10′, Level II.
Alllllllmost true Level II. If the snatches had been power snatches, I could have easily done 55lbs. But I’m just not in practice enough to do the technical element of the squat snatch. It’s crazy though. I really could feel my strength on this WOD. Things I thought were going to suck (ahem, lunges, jerks) weren’t bad at all. I also got a set of 7 pullups in, which is maybe a PR? I’m not sure. Anyway, I felt strong and awesome and fast during this WOD (minus the running) and yeah. I love today’s box day.
Big physical and mental health day for me today. Lots of “me” time, with crossfit in the morning, a yummy lunch, and a whole day of knitting and climbing and girltalk-ing with my close girlyfriend, Jen. We ended up staying at the climbing gym for close to three hours, with surprisingly little downtime! I feel good today. Maybe it was the three-day weekend, or the fact that I haven’t gotten any of my exams and projects back over the last few days, but damn, I feel like I’m getting back into a good headspace, finally. Today I feel like I am an athlete. I read a really super great post today about what it means to be a “real” crossfitter, and how the only thing keeping yourself from being one, is you saying it or not. (Best line of the article: “Nobody’s gonna come by with a PVC pipe one day and dub thee Legit. You are a real CrossFitter.”) And, while that might sound like a damn obvious statement, it’s so easy to look at the monsters in the box Rx’ing WODs at record speed and impossibly heavy weights and think “I’m nowhere near that good” or make excuses for how not-as-strong/fast/fit/able you are, but when it comes down to it, you’re doing the same thing they are: you’re working your ass off as hard as you possibly can, fighting to improve on your own sense of self and fitness; so why does that make them any more of a real crossfitter or athlete than yourself?! It’s so silly but too often I slip into that mindset. I am a crossfitter, I am an athlete, and I am a better/stronger/faster me than I was yesterday, and that’s all that matters.
- Backsquat 5-5-5-5: 105-105-105-105. Last time we did a 4×5 backsquat cycle, my final weight after a bunch of weeks was 105 across. This is pretty awesome. The second set felt really great and I probably should have pushed up to 110, but I’m happy I hit 105 across the board today. Only up from here!
WOD for Time: 8:07
5 Rounds of:
- 6 Deadlifts: 125lbs, Level II.
- 6 Ring Dips: assisted, Level I. Meh.
- 12 Box Jumps: 20″, Rx.
I liked this! I liked this a lot! I usually hate the 5 round-ers, but this one felt consistent and goooood. My IT bands are tight as hell from it, but climbing helped a great deal. Warm muscles are happy muscles. Ring dips are still the bane of my existence, but I’m finally getting good at shoving my chest forward to help get a swooping upward momentum out of the bottom. That’ll help me along the line somewhere, I’m sure. But they are still the wooooooorst. Deadlifts felt awesome and completely manageable, and the box jumps were just an annoyance more than anything. We had a HUGE class (35+ people) due to the holiday, so it was fun having such crazy energy going on during the class!
TGIF! I’m looking forward to a log weekend of homework, studying, knitting, and some light climbing/conditioning. I’m taking this Sunday off from gymnastics because of a sore left hamstring/groin, and because my partner is crime for those classes will be in NY. Also, I am proud of myself for actually showing up today, in spite of the crappy rainy weather. Knowing you’re heading into a workout that has running in it while it’s POURING outside definitely tests your motivation. Thankfully, the rain let up just in time for our run, and my freshly-dyed hair didn’t end up staining my clothes bright red, ha!
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 1 Front Squat: 95lbs. Holy heavy! I was thinking I could do 105. I think with a little more warming up I could have done it, but we were a little rushed so not today!
- 3 Strict Ring Dips: assisted. Meh. Don’t feel like these are getting any better lately.
WOD for Time: 10:25
- Run 600m: Rx. This felt easier than usual. What’s going on.
- 30 Kettlebell Swings: 35lbs American swing, Rx. All unbroken, I might add.
- 20 Bastards: Rx, lateral over-the-bar burpees. Eh. Slow but steady pace.
- 10 P. Curtis (Power Clean->right leg lunge->left leg lunge->shoulder to overhead = 1 rep): 55lbs, Level I. Wompwomp. The worst.
I am awful at lunges just in general, and after all of the leg stuff I knew I wasn’t going to be good for the 75lb level II weight. I barely got through the lunges at this weight!
As promised, here’s the video of me hitting the 105lb clean and jerk from last week!! Threw my hips forward on the clean, but still caught it solid and the jerk felt pretty good, even though my back knee was barely bent. I really need to start videoing myself so I can critique my movements more. I’ve learned so much just from these two!!
- Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3: 85-85-90-90. The 90s felt better than the 85s, for sure, but I wore myself out starting with 85. Used elbow cues and tried to sit back into my cleans instead of pushing my hips forward, and they felt smooth and solid.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 6+6.
7 Minute AMRAP of:
- 1 Hang Squat Snatch: 42lbs, Power Snatch. Because I apparently can’t squat snatch anymore. Shit. Need to work on that.
- 3 Overhead Squats: 42lbs, 4 reps. Since I couldn’t catch my snatch in the squat, I added an extra one. Worst. Idea. Ever. My wrists feel like noodles.
- 5 Ring Pushups: knees. Ha. What a joke. These are insanely difficult.
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh today was a #justshowup day for me. It’s been a supremely long week, and it’s only Wednesday. Oof. Hopefully Friday will be better. I’m going to try to get some squats in between classes tomorrow since I missed Monday’s 10-10-10. Gunning for solid 3×10 at 100 this week. I always feel weaker at my school’s gym, so we’ll see how that goes..if I can even get in there.
So I spent much of September under the radar. I took a week off in the beginning after losing a close friend. After that week off I had a few rough workouts, as expected. I guess that’s all I’m going to say about that. I kept track of my workouts on here as drafts without posting them, so I finally just went through and posted the backlog. Yesterday was Tyler’s birthday, and well, sometimes life is just more important than crossfit, so I allowed myself a rest day.
Meanwhile, while I was gone from posting, I hit a 105lb clean and jerk last week. It was SO GREAT. That is so big for me!!!!! Life Coach Erika caught it on her phone, too. She also got my failed attempt, which you will see in the video below. That’s a clean and clean&jerk PR for me. Tomorrow I’m going to post the video of me actually having my shit together on the jerk to complete the lift, but with a sloppy clean. Hey, it was a PR. No one ever said PRs have to be pretty to count!