Man, I tried SO HARD to get to do Memorial Day “Murph” yesterday. I didn’t know how I was going to manage that many pull-ups or push-ups, but I was damn willing to try somehow. I got on the road at 4:50 so I could get a good warm-up ahead of time, but unfortunately everyone on the island was trying to get back to the mainland to go home after the long weekend, and I sat less than a mile from our condo until 5:25. We had dinner reservations for 7:30, so I didn’t have time to stick it out and go to the 6:30. BAH. So I turned around in the middle of the road, drove back home (which took all of 2 minutes) and enjoyed the rest of the night.
Oh, before all of that, yesterday morning our condo association held a Bloody Mary contest, where you paid to enter and to “taste test”/judge, and all of the money collected would be matched and donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. So that was pretty great. I won second place, and would have won first if my dad hadn’t added half a bottle of vodka to my mix when I wasn’t looking. They were WAY too strong! I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day, and had a more successful “Murph” than I did!!
Okay, anyway, to today’s WOD!
- Back squat 3-3-3-3-3: 115-115-115-115-115. I backed off a little this week, because it just felt so damn heavy after not squatting heavy last week. I worked pretty hard on not leading up with my butt, and rising out of the hole at the bottom all at the same time.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 8 Full Rounds.
15 Minute AMRAP of:
- 15 Plate Ground-to-Overhead: 15lbs.
- 10 Plate Overhead Squats: 15lbs.
- 5 Burpees onto Plate: Rx.
This was a ninja WOD. I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn’t know HOW bad. I was completely dripping with sweat by the end, and my hands didn’t stop shaking for an hour after!! Rx weight was 25lbs for females, but since I can’t fully lock out my left arm with that much weight overhead without my arm collapsing in, I went with 15lbs. The 15 was great though, my pace was consistent through the entire 15 minutes, and it left me completely worn out! Had a huge dinner at home, and now I’m ready to pass out. Looking to grab a few more WODs before I leave this weekend! I’m going to miss Crossfit Carteret!!!
Ahhh back to NC. As it turns out, I didn’t get a chance to go to a box in Florida because we were too busy going on trolley crawls , going out on boats, and being exhausted from full days of activity. I also stupidly left my inov8s there, so I’m going to be WODing in chucks for the next week.
On Monday, our condo association is putting on a bloody mary contest, and all of the money raised is being donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. I worked on my recipe today. I need to boil down the tomatoes tomorrow, because it just wasn’t tomato-y enough with just blending them. I’m so excited! I want to win! So far though, my recipe is tasting incredible amazing. Delicious!
- Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5: 125-125-125-130(PR)-130. Heaviest since the injury, thus far! Jumped in weight quite a bit on these since the last time. My arm is feeling better every day, and deadlifts just feel so damn great. I’m back up above bodyweight now, and they felt surprisingly light today. Also, my hammies weren’t as cooked after these as they normally are! Progress!
WOD for Time: 8:07
4 Rounds of:
- 15 Wallballs: 10lbs to 9′.
- 10 GHD Sit-Ups. Love GHDs. The WOD called for toes-to-bar, but I can’t quite swing around like that yet.
- 6 Pushups: knees. My arm felt a little wobbly after the deadlifts, so I stuck to knees.
This was actually a WOD programmed by my box back home at some point last week. On Saturdays, Crossfit Carteret has an hour of open gym time where you can do their programmed WOD or just work on your own stuff. That is a luxury that you don’t really get at the boxes up north. Their programmed WOD for today was a partnered version od “Cindy,” and I haven’t been cleared for that volume of pull-ups and push-ups quite yet.
I made it to the beach! So happy to be back at Crossfit Carteret! Was greeted with smiles and hugs, and it was so great to catch up with Todd and Rhonda, and one of the regulars said “I thought it was about that time of year!” meaning time for me to start popping in regularly again. So great!!!! I love it here! I’m flying out to Florida for Tues-Fri, but I will be back in the box on Saturday (unless I can get to a box in Florida…which I might just do)!
WOD for Time: 21:48
5 Rounds of:
- Run 400m: Rx. The running actually felt really great!
- 15 Overhead Squats (Subbed Back Squats): 65lbs, Rx weight, but on back instead of overhead.
I’m still worried about going super heavy overhead, and my elbow has been bothering me a little since last Friday’s WOD, so I decided to keep it racked on my back. The running felt wonderful, and after the squats it was amazing to get some air and push through it. I feel like I’m getting my cardio back to where I want it to be! Yay! I kind of wish I had done some lighter weight OHS, but deep down I know that it’s better to listen to my body than to go balls out and push myself too hard!
This week I’ve cut out just about all processed food and refined and added sugars/alcohol, and I feel amazing. I’ve slept better, I’ve had a lot of energy, and as an added bonus my tummy has flattened out quite a bit. I’ve been working extra hard trying to prepare for taking most of next week off while I’m in Florida, and probably eating and drinking more than I’m used to. BFF reunions from college will do that to you. I’m on a collard green and shiitake mushroom kick right now. Wednesday with the tuna cakes, last night with a salmon filet and guac, and tonight with a sweet potato and some mustardy bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. Omg the chicken thighs were heavenly. Very reminiscent of bbq, with nicely charred skin and juicy insides. Oh girl.
EMOTM for 10 Minutes of:
- 4 Ring Dips: Scaled with a thin band. Felt way too easy, but it was my first time doing them since my injury and I didn’t want to push them too hard.
- 2 Front Squats (subbed cross-armed front squats): 70lbs. Which I think is a 5lb PR for front squats of any kind, pre- and post-injury. So that’s pretty awesome. I might have been able to go up another 2.5, but my legs were pretty smoked towards the last 3 or 4 rounds. Still a little worried about ditching, but they felt good. I love squats, and so does my butt.
WOD for Time: 7:46
5 Rounds of:
- 15 Russian Kettlebell Swings: 53lbs, Level II.
- 15 Push-ups: knees, Level I.
Man, my shoulders and chest are so not used to push-ups anymore, especially my left one. I’m still having trouble getting to full extension while there is load on my biceps, so my right arm was doing way more work, and it gassed me. They were definitely my limiting factor for this WOD. Lots of little breaks to shake everything out. I was very surprised how easy the 53lb KB swings felt, and I feel like I’m not too far from being able to do them overhead, once my arm will allow it! I love feeling strong. I love BEING strong.
- 50 GHDs. I can’t get enough of them. I’m actually considering buying a GHD set-up for our teeny tiny little condo.
TODAY. TODAAAAYYYYYYY. I happy cried today. I started getting misty on my third round of today’s WOD, but forced myself to hold out my tears until the end. And then in my moment of complete and total bliss, lying collapsed on the ground, gasping for air with my arms over my eyes, I cried. I cried because I’m so incredibly proud of myself. I am so strong in spite of my injury, and I am so close to being back to doing normal WODs again!!! Also, I made this super yummy dinner…but now I’m hungry again.
- Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5: 115-115-115-115-115. Up 10lbs from last week’s deadlifts! These felt easy, and put literally zero strain on my arm. I didn’t want to push it though, because I was preparing to go wild in the metcon.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 10+12
15 Minute AMRAP of:
- 3 Shoulder to Overhead: 45lbs. First time doing anything overhead since the injury!!! They were difficult, but felt awesome. I had to take my time approaching them though, because I didn’t want to jump up from the burpees and rack the bar too quickly and hurt myself.
- 3 Assisted Pull-ups: First time doing pull-ups! Used the purple band, and did chest-to-bars for the first 4 rounds, then dropped to regular for the rest as I fatigued. Shit yes.
- 9 Burpees: Rx. These felt GREAT today. So much better than Monday’s burpees. My knees are killing me, but I don’t even care. I felt strong and fast and aggressive and never stopped.
I’d just like to point out that I did 96 burpees today. That’s a lot of freaking burpees.
- 50 GHD Sit-Ups. I love GHDs. LOVE. Except now my hammies are dying.
No posts from last week because last Friday night in the middle of the night I got a hardcore case of gastroenteritis. You know, just the weekend before finals’ week. No big deal or anything. It was horrific. I woke up Thursday morning feeling almost entirely better, but my cramps came back a little bit right between my last two finals, so I wasn’t about to try working out. I lived on Trader Joe’s organic chicken stock and organic brown rice cakes. For almost 6 whole days. I was hungry ALL THE TIME but I couldn’t handle any other food. It was the worst!! But I got through my finals and now I’m back at it! Fair warning though, next Tuesday I’m leaving to go to Florida, and then I’ll be in NC for a few days. I won’t be WODing in FL, but I will definitely be dropping into Crossfit Carteret while I’m in NC! Can’t wait! I miss that box.
- Back Squat 3-3-3-3-3: 115-115-115-115-115. Effffffffff. Felt SO HEAVY today. I was having a hell of a time keeping my chest up, but I think maybe only one rep of that entire complex wasn’t completely to full depth. So that’s good. It was a LOT of squats. I also did too many heavy warmup sets, so that was dumb. Doing sets of 3 at 115lbs was a HUGE PR for me back in January, so it’s nice to have that be my starting weight for my sets of 3 for this cycle!
WOD for Time: 11:37
2 Rounds of:
- 30 Wallballs: 8lbs to 10ft target.
- 15 Burpees: Rx.
- 400m Run: Rx.
This was absolutely horrible. You’d think only two rounds wouldn’t be too bad. But this. This was the worst. I’ve had “Fran Cough” since I finished at 5:25pm today. I guess I just found out that the work I was doing during my injury did not keep my cardiovascular conditioning up to par. I’m usually really good at mind-over-matter during burpees, and can sprint through them with the thought that the faster I go, the faster I’ll be finished with them. Not during this WOD! My quads and shoulders were burning from the wallballs, and my lungs were on fire. I almost collapsed on the first few strides of the run because my legs felt so gelatinous. And the second round was just an all-out shitshow. But I finished, and I didn’t come in last. Everything felt great on my arm, and it’s not even a little sore now. Yay!
Now I’m finishing up my last paper for the semester, and questioning whether I’ll be able to walk tomorrow when I wake up, after today’s leg demolition. Happy Monday!
I love today. The weather is amazing, I woke up feeling like I wasn’t going to die if I were to leave the bed, and ended up getting into crossfit at 930am! Also got a new tank and hoodie in the mail last night, and new workout gear is the best motivation for me. Ha! Today’s WOD was so much fun!!! I might have gone a little hard on my bad arm, but so far it’s just normal sore, not anything worse. ROM is increasing slowly and barely noticeably now, so I’m antsy and feel like I need to push it harder and harder every day! Also, so happy that my legs and glutes are starting to get more definition. Seemed to be shedding fat&gaining muscle at the same rate for a bit there (and then the opposite while I was out with my injury for the first bit) and now I think muscle is finally winning out!!!
EMOTM for 8 Minutes of:
- 1 Squat Clean/1 Front Squat (Subbed two Cross-Armed Front Squats): 70lbs. Elbow still not ready for weight in the usual front rack position, but getting close!!!!
- 3 Box Dips: Still trying to hold off on the rings, for fear of my arm swinging outwards and tweaking. Focused on getting to absolute bottom and top, with zero assist from my legs/hips. Tris are damn sore now.
WOD for Rounds+Reps: 3+5+50m carry
AMRAP 15 Minutes of:
- 5 Deadlift: 105lbs, Level I.
- 200m Farmers Carry: 20lb DBs, Level I.
- 10 Burpee Box Jumps: 20″, Level II height, but did burpee step-ups because I’m still not used to really strenuous cardio again, and was worried about missing and falling on my busted arm.
- 5 15ft Rope Climbs*: Level II reps. LOVE ROPE CLIMBS.
- * You must complete 5 rope climbs during the entire workout. You can do them at any point during the 15 minutes and break them up however you like.
This WOD was SO GREAT SO GREAT SO GREAT. I love things like this. I decided to attack the rope climbs first, and did all 5 unbroken, one after another, hardly even coming off the rope at the bottom. I LOVE them. The deadlifts were 5lbs heavier than the deadlifts I worked up to on Wednesday, and they felt equally as great. I thought I was going to have to back out of the farmer’s carry on my left arm, because the first round walking it just didn’t feel right. On the second round, I held them differently, and actually ran with them at my sides, and that caused my arm to stay active and not let any weird cross-movement happen. It also kicked my ass, which was great. And the burpee step-ups were eh. I really wanted to do the burpee box-jumps, but like I said, I’m still being a little cautious, even though it doesn’t sound like it since I did 5 15′ rope climbs! I know my weaknesses, and I know that when I get really tired I don’t get my feet up high enough on the box jumps sometimes. This definitely could have been a WOD with tumble-potential for me.
Going hiking with Tyler for the rest of the day, in celebration (and jealousy!) of him completing his senior thesis! So proud of him!!
Today was a good Crossfit day. I tried some new (since injury) things, and they all felt really really good. In the warm-up, I was actually able to do hang squat cleans with the trainer barbell (12lbs) and alllllmost have it sit in the right spot in my front rack position. Progress!
- Deadlift 5-5-5-5: 100-100-100-100. This was really just an exercise in “can I deadlift again yet” trial and error. Turns out it felt freaking amazing to get some pulling tension on my arm. I went 35-65-85-90-95 in sets of 5, and then stuck at 100 for 4 sets. I didn’t want to push it too hard my first time doing them again, but they felt easy, and really good, and I’m really glad that I tried them today! The programmed strength with clean and jerk, but I’m certainly not at that point yet!
WOD for Time: 6:10
4 Rounds of:
- 10 Hang Dumbbell Squat Cleans: 10s.
- 10 Pull-ups (Subbed Ring Rows): BW.
I actually did 5 rounds, because I had to use such a light weight and I felt like I just flew through it. I really wanted to use both arms, and not do this single armed, which meant going really light to be careful on the elbow. I grabbed 15s at first, but stabilizing the squat clean at the bottom felt like it was tweaking weird, so I had to back down. The ring rows were okay. I can’t wait to be able to do pull-ups again. I just feel so cheated not doing them!! I was surprised to feel that going from the top of the ring row to extended arms is actually what felt not so great on my elbow. But I just adjusted my heel placement so I was able to assist that side a little and they were fine from there.
- 30 GHD Sit-Ups. I am going to try to keep knocking out GHDs after every workout. They feel so good all over, and they’re fun and quick and effective. Yay GHDs!