The Worst Clusterf*ck (Tough Mudder) and 9/10 Strength at GMU

Sooooo Tough Mudder. Yeah, that didn’t happen. We, along with over 1000 others, sat in our cars for 4 and a half hours trying to get in the parking area. The backups extended throughout the entirety of Frederick, MD, and even affected I-270 before it turned into Rt 15N. The event was disorganized and the location was NOT able to accomodate the 20,000+ people who were trying to access the site by two different roads which bottlenecked into the parking area. The only people who ended up running it were those who had the first couple heat times, and people who parked 2+ miles away (even though Tough Mudder told everyone that we WOULD BE TOWED if we parked anywhere other than their lot…HA!) and ran to the Mudder. The course was apparently awful once the rain came, and even the most elite athletes couldn’t finish in under 4 hours because you physically could not run in the 4 inch thick sticky mud that covered the course. It’s a mud run, I get it, but notice run. If the mud is so thick you can’t run through it, that negates the whole idea. Anyway, this is all second-hand knowledge, because we never even made it in the parking lot. That was apparently a blessing, because after the rain, cars were stuck in what was essentially a mud bowl, with the only entrance and exit at the “lip” of the bowl, with parking down in the center and on the lip of the other side. Cars were sliding into each other, being left overnight, and being towed out for $100 by some of the locals. One of Tyler’s friend’s cars was hit by three other cars while they were trying to exit the lot. I’m glad we at least avoided that mess. We thought leaving DC at 10:30am would give us plenty of time to get to Frederick, MD and check in by our start time of 2:20pm. If only.

So, we left around 4pm, and decided we’d reconvene at 5am, meet at a local mall at 5:45am, and try to be one of the first heats on Sunday morning, parking a few miles away and walking there. Well, around midnight the mayor of Frederick pulled the plug on Tough Mudder, revoking their permit stating that the traffic, the venue, and the parking were all just too awful, and the event would have to be cancelled. We found this out at 3:30am, when both me and my teammate Gina couldn’t sleep. Epic bummer, but honestly, it would have been just as bad if not WORSE on Sunday, because everyone from Saturday would be trying to get there as early as possible. The worst part is that Tough Mudder is stating that they decided to cancel Sunday because of safety/damages from the weather, NOT because the mayor shut them down. A little sketchy, Tough Mudder, a little sketchy. They’re offering refunds or transfers, plus discounts to any 2012 or 2013 TM races for all. Tyler and I are going to transfer ours to Tri-State in NJ on Sunday, October 21st, and the rest of our team is probably going to do the one next April in Maryland, and depending on how much of a discount they are going to offer, we might join them on that one.

TL;DR– Tough Mudder fucked up, big time. Lots of people didn’t get to run it, including us, so we are going to transfer to the New Jersey run at the end of October. It kind of sucks, but this one is going to be awesome, and has monster trucks and rope climbs and lots of awesome obstacles that the Mid-Atlantic didn’t. And I’ll get to see my awesome cousins, hopefully see one of my best friends and fitness/crafts inspiration, Erin, and hopefully hopefully the caveman’s man himself will be able to do it with us!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, enough of that. Today I had 45 minutes to workout at the gym on campus. Just enough time to kill my legs, abs, and butt.


  • Backsquat 3-3-3-3-3: 105-105-105-105-105. Pretty freaking happy about that, since last time I only did one full set of three and failed on the final rep of the second set. I spent less time warming up to that weight this time, and I think that made a big difference. I think my progression went 45-65-85 and then into the 5 sets of 105. Then after that, I did 20 reps of just the 45lb bar. Felt the burn.
  • GHD Sit-Ups: 40-20-10. Thought I was going to puke when I finished, so I hauled ass to the bathroom and sat there sweating and almost barfing for about 5 minutes. It passed, thankfully, and I went on to class. Haha. Oops.

I also had pole dancing class tonight, and we danced more today than we have in months and focused less on tricks, so I really liked tonight actually. I talked to my teacher about feeling disheartened with it lately, and she really helped my brain and is going to work with helping me get back into it and nail some new moves.

I don’t have any pictures of anything interesting, so I apologize, but maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow’s WOD is a Hero WOD in honor of 9/11. Probably going to pass out. Squat cleans, pull-ups, and running. I’m lamenting the death of my legs already.

11 responses

  1. At least Tough Mudder sent a video out saying that they failed where as Fredrick officials wouldn’t take blame for anything, not helping to stage the parking, not helping when it turned into a cluster. I saw 2 sheriffs drive by as I was helping push at least a dozen cars out of the parking lot after sitting there for 3 hours after I finished. Tough Mudder did have an epic fail but at least they owned it unlike the city of Fredrick. They knew how many people were coming and they issued all of the permits but offered no other assistance.

    • I spoke with a police officer once we finally got out and stopped to stretch and grab a bite to eat before heading home. He was on site, and made an executive decision to block traffic from continuing on Willowbrook Rd at the 4-way stopsign. He had asked them repeatedly if they needed help, and Tough Mudder kept telling him that they had it under control (as cars slid into each other). There were 7 city officers who were assigned to the farm, and they quickly brought in more from the Frederick town fair going on at the same time, once the shit really hit the fan. Sheriff officers also would periodically block off exit 16 (which we experienced, and had to find our way back to the directions given by TM) in order to try to control the traffic flow on Opposumtown Pike. There are too many variables to place complete blame; I think this was a failure all around.

      I am mostly bitter that we were kept in the dark for 4 hours, about why we weren’t moving, when it was obvious they could have sent out a mass text and email to ensure everyone knew what was going on. A friend was scheduled to run the 2pm heat, made it in time (by parking at the church and running there) but they had already closed it down and weren’t letting anyone else on the course. We sat in line until 3:10 (our heat was at 2:20) until some kind person hiking back up the road started asking “you guys know that they’re not letting anyone else run, right?” No, actually, since Tough Mudder didn’t give us any sort of insight to what the hell was going on. I also tried to wildly flag down a volunteer on a motor-cart as he drove by, and he completely ignored me and flew by. I’ll forever have a bad taste in my mouth for Tough Mudder after this.

      • Fair enough! I can personally say I saw no police officers in the parking lot where I sat for 3 hours and it’s funny both Mike and I commented that we didn’t see one car get hit. So after hearing your stories I’m glad we didn’t try and go to the other side (which we almost did) to get out because that sounds like it was even more of a CF than our side! Took me an hour and a half to detail the inside of my car last night. We had rolled the windows down so people could grip on and help push on the sides, lets not mention my 2 hours in the mud pushing cars barefoot, the carpet was a mess! I did a cheapo car was and it got some of the dirt off, going to do the deep scrub tonight. I would have the same bad taste in my mouth if I had your experience. Totally sucks. Hope you enjoy the one in October. This course was easy but that one sounds badass, more your style! Good luck!

        • From what I’ve heard, it didn’t start to get really bad until about 2:30. There were a bunch of people talking on the TM facebook page saying that they had to leave their cars there overnight, in hopes that it would dry out enough to get them the next day!!! I can’t believe you guys had to push your car like that!! Hopefully everything will come out after the deep scrubbin’ tonight. Having mud inside your car after the mudder is inevitable, but definitely not to that extent! I’m definitely hoping that Tri-State will change my view and will be a total blast. Loved the pictures of you guys from your run!!!

          • We didn’t get out of the parking lot till 4:30! It was so nuts! Of course we were so pissed/irritated that we didn’t even take pictures. It took all of our energy not to snap at each other! :) Trust me, after your 3rd mudder you will learn how not to get mud in your car, well having an engineering ocd husband helps too! :) My sister rocks for coming along to take pictures!

  2. Pingback: Goal needed. Goal set. Tri-State Tough Mudder » The Cavemans Man

  3. Pingback: T-Minus 10 Days… | Don't Be Lazy, Katie McShady!

  4. Pingback: Tough Mudder: Dominated. | Don't Be Lazy, Katie McShady!

  5. Pingback: Its Not About the Race: Tough Mudders are not Tough Mudder. | RELENTLESS FORWARD COMMOTION

Add/Ask Something?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s