I have about an hour and a half between two classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and the gym just happens to be nestled ever-so-perfectly near the two buildings that they are in. I can’t not go, when it’s just so close and convenient! Not to mention not having anything better to do yet. I jumped in there around 12:30pm to get a little mini-strength workout in, not pushing it too hard, knowing that I had Crossfit at 4:30pm today.
Strength at Gym:
- Front Squats until almost failure: 45lbs x 20 reps. Could have probably done 10-15 more reps, but my legs are still sore from Monday’s squats!
- 10 Toes-to-Bar: killing time while waiting for the GHD to open up.
- 30 GHD Sit-Ups: Ouch. Abs still sore from Monday’s GHDs.
- 4 Rounds of: 5 assisted pull-ups with 36lbs assistance, 5 assisted dips with 42lbs assistance. You stupid, the WOD later had strict pull-ups. Bad move.
- 50 Weighted Standing Calf Raises: 65lbs. Ouch.
- 55 Weighted Seated Calf Raises: 65lbs. Ouch.
So, as I said, I shouldn’t have done the pull-ups. That was stupid. It also wasn’t the smartest thing in the world for me to do the calf raises, because we had over-the-box jumps. But, much to my surprise, I actually felt extremely springy in my calves during the WOD, and really felt like they were launching me over the box more than I thought I’d be able to. I think the calf raises might be working!
- Strict Press 3-3-3-3-3: 55-55-55(f on third rep)-50-50-50. My whole upper body is so toasted from the push-ups and rope climbs yesterday, there was no way I was getting 55 up the last three sets. I’m glad I backed down. It gave me some time to focus on my form and keeping my core tight, instead of gettheweightupnomatterwhatittakes. I might back down to 50 for all sets next week to work on that. I say that now, but we all know that’s probably not going to happen.
WOD for Time: 7:52
5 Rounds of:
- 3 Strict Pullups: assisted with ~32lbs. There was less assistance than the ones I did at the gym earlier. Level II reps, Level I for assistance. So Level I.V. I did 5 in the first round, but quickly realized in the second that that wasn’t going to keep happening.
- 7 Burpees: Level II reps. I actually like burpees.
- 12 Over-the-Box Jumps: 16″. Level II height. These were actually pretty fun. I cleared the box every time, and was able to power through with no rest at all.
This workout was pretty awesome. I understand why I wasn’t able to completely preform to what I know I could have (ie. press at 55 across the board, more strict pull-ups or maybe a tad less assistance?) and I’m okay with how I did because of that. Understanding your own body and when/why it’s telling you certain things is an art, and I’m starting to get the hang of it, I think!
Pull-ups are pull-ups, burpees are burpees, and over-the-box jumps are where you jump clear over the box without landing on the top. I can’t be bothered to link to everything right now. Too. Tired. Don’t hate me! Also no pictures after yesterday’s post. Anything posted today would be sub-par!